Author Topic: Birth in Northern Ireland-C.1889 Marguerite Cecilia CRAIG  (Read 5103 times)

Offline reidfd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Northern Ireland-C.1889
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 16 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Dathai posting 10 Feb 16 08:28 -  Don't know what to make of 1883 wedding William Craig and Elizabeth White.  Surnames and date look right, but first names do not match as noted by aghadowey 16 09:44

Dathai posting 10 Feb 16 14:01 - Thank you for Family Search link.  Affidavit confirms Place of Birth as Ireland (Northern Ireland formed  later in 1921)

Dathai posting 11 Feb 16 08:47 - Have now searched Scottish records without success.  Tried Marguerite (and variations) White and Craig for subject person and mother.  Similar for Ireland. No luck. Marguerite's daughter (deceased) known to have heard Marguerite say she was born in Ireland.

aghadowey posting 11 Feb 16 09:02 - We do not know what age Marguerite was when she went to Canada. Full Window is C.1888 birth and 1915 marriage. Re your Home Child question, we have several photographs taken when she was a young lady, say 16 to 18 years.  In each she is well dressed in company with serveral other well dressed young ladies.  In others she is in well dressed mixed company of similar age.  There is yet another photo with well dressed mixed company of young but varying ages.  Marguerite is of a similar age in all of these photos. Marguerite's daughter said her mother was well educated.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Again clutching at straws  wonder would it be worth your while doing a search on this family purely because of combination of names Cecil and Cecilia
Reference to Emily Craigs Will on P R O N I   Wills  1938 Dunmurray,Antrim
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx
also on search archives here granted at Dublin to Rev Cecil Henry Stewart Craig.
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

http://www.geni.com/people/Emily-Craig/360186240580005399

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 16 11:21 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Family tree for the above mentioned Emily Cecilia Craig-
http://www.featherstone.org/getperson.php?personID=I24509&tree=Featherstone_Main
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline reidfd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 16 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Was this a straw after all?  Robert Stewart Craig married Emily Cecilia Fetherstonhaugh married in 1899.  Thus the union of the names occurred 10 or 11 years after Marguerite Cecilia Craig was born.  The thought that Marguerite was a home child is attractive.  Would this explain changes of name in that period.  If so, aghadowey posting 9 Feb 16 09:48 re birth of twins may be a good bet, because the DoB fits.  How to validate this assumption though?  Maybe also, dathai postings are also correct if Rev Robert Stewart Craig was the father there may have been a pressing need to hide public knowledge of the births, given he was a man of the cloth.

There must also be a shipping record for Marguerite's transfer to Canada.  I have previously assumed she was about 5 or 6 years of age, but this may be a gross error and I will have to widen the age period from birth to marriage.

I will be away for a few days.

Offline reidfd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Family story (from Marguerite's daughter now deceased) has it that Marguerite's husband was not very civil towards her and that she was excluded on occasions from having input on the pretext that she was "only a bastard" (in the true meaning of the word).  Accordingly, there is a high probably that although there are parents nominated on Marguerite's wedding documents, they were not married.  Sorry I have not thought to offer this before.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if her marriage cert might give more info re address that you could trace back to possibly find her on a census or her schooling where she was educated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 16 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Your last post greatly changes what we might need to be searching for. If Marguerite was illegitimate then her birth should be registered under whatever her mother's surname was at the time

Do you have Marguerite in any Canadian census records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!