Author Topic: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland  (Read 3292 times)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello
I am in Australia & I am trying to locate a photo of the headstone of Alexander Peter Imlay (1885 - 1959).

He served in World War 1 with A.I.F. (Australian Imperial Force). He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order with Bar & was Mentioned in Despatches.

In 1921 he joined the Gordon Highlanders, British Army as Captain & in 1930 transferred to the Royal Indian Army Service Corps. He retired in 1937.

He was reappointed in 1940 as Major for service during World War 2.

He died on 23 April, 1959 at Skene, Aberdeen, Scotland, survived by his wife and children.

Can someone please point me in the direction of where I may be able to find out where he was buried?  and where I may be able to obtain a photo of his headstone?

Many thanks
Cathy

Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
As he lived and died in Aberdeenshire it would be worth trying www.deceasedonline.com - your best method of finding out where he is buried.

However he could have been cremated rather than buried, and even if he was buried there might not be a headstone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was with him in the Gordons. He always remembered that as my grandmother's name was also Imlay (from the family originating in Fyvie and then Methlick).

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - I wasn't aware of that website - had a look but unfortunately the Imlay I am looking for wasn't listed.

GR2 - thank you for your input. 
I have contact with you who's grandfather served with him - Amazing !

Any other suggestions of where I can look ? Have checked Find a Grave - no luck.
Cathy
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
There might have been a funeral announcement in a newspaper.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I am not 100% certain that Deceased Online has all the Aberdeenshire records online as yet. Might be worth asking Aberdeenshire Council - tell them you have tried Deceased Online and not found him. https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/communities-and-events/bereavement/burial-grounds/

If that fails check the Aberdeen Crematorium. http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/community_life_leisure/bereavement_services/dfc_deaths_records.asp

There is not much chance of getting a photograph of a stone (assuming that one exists) if you don't know where to look for it. If I knew where it was, I could probably get a photo some time if I am passing by, but I am not about to offer to search every burial ground in Aberdeenshire on the off-chance of finding a stone which may not actually exist.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Since he died less than half a mile from my home, I have had a look. Loads about him on the web. Nothing about where he or his wife ended up. I wonder if the were both cremated and their ashes shipped back to Australia.

Regards

Malky

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

There is not much chance of getting a photograph of a stone (assuming that one exists) if you don't know where to look for it. If I knew where it was, I could probably get a photo some time if I am passing by, but I am not about to offer to search every burial ground in Aberdeenshire on the off-chance of finding a stone which may not actually exist.
Nor would I ask you too - that is way to much to ask someone that you don't know :) Completely understand !!

Flattybasher - less than a mile from your home - I shall keep you in mind in case I get an answer from Forfarian's suggestions (forgot to thank you for them Forfarian !)

GR2 - didn't think of that - thank you :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry in the

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
Wills, Probates, Land, Tax & Criminal for him.
There may be something there.
It's accessible through Ancestry, of which, I am not a member.

Regards

Malky