Author Topic: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland  (Read 3293 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »
From Malky's details, not sure if it adds much more. Address is Westhill House, Skene. Death 23 April. Names of likely wife and daughters (?). Sealed in London 1 October.

You cannot search online for his Scottish will & testament. This would require a personal search.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a photo of Headstone of Alexander Imaly died 1959 Skene, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Malky & Monica

I had seen the Probate entry - no new leads unfortunately :(

Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeenshire Libraries – Local Studies www.northeastscotlandroots.com/aberdeenshire-libraries-local-studies/
If you click on the above link you'll find out how to contact the librarians. You can email them with a request to look up the local newspapers, asking for a funeral announcement or articles regarding Alexander's death. You should then know where the burial took place. The fact you have the exact date of death will greatly assist them in their search!
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi flst
Beat you to it  ;D I have just emailed them less than an hour ago !

Thanks for the suggestion though - great minds think alike !
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 February 16 08:31 GMT (UK) »
The house sits at the South side of the Old Skene Road, in the middle of Westhill itself.
I went to the house yesterday, and spoke to the new owners. They are not related to Alexander.
I also spoke to the librarian at Central Library in Aberdeen. They have the 1959 Evening Express and Press & Journal on microfiche (or the like).

Regards

Malky

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 February 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh - thank you Malky - that was lovely of you to do that  ;D

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
For those that are following this thread - just received a copy of the funeral notice from Aberdeen City Library :

Lieut. Col - Alexander Peter Imlay, D.S.O. was cremated on Monday April, 27.

So now I guess I will contact the Crematorium to see of there is a plaque.

Cathy

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I have spoken to Michelle at the crem'. Gordon & Watson arranged the cremation. The ashes were collected on the 27th, and were not scattered. I have spoken to William Gilchrist at Kaimhill and the book of rememberence is available. I will have a run into Aberdeen today and have a look at the book, and check the walls for any plaque.

Regards

Malky

Further, I went over to Kaimhill crem' just after lunch. The book had been removed 1 hour prior for updating. There is no plaque. It may be worth tracing the death of his wife to see where she died. This may lead to a conclusion as to where his ashes ended up.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Re Monica's post, his wifes name was "Edyth Henrietta Taylor Murray" and his daughter's name is/was "Jean Agrell". Father, "Alexander William Imlay" station owner and mother "Emma Carnbury Woodland".
Siblings, Norman George Imlay (1887-1973) and Ellen Jeanie Imlay (1881-1978)

Regards

Malky