Author Topic: "Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish" - Is Dalnaheigleish his POB?  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
"Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish" - Is Dalnaheigleish his POB?
« on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Rose (1799-1846) on my family tree is listed as Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish. And on his headstone at the Ardclach church it reportedly says Alexander, died Dalnaheiglish....

Alexander's wife was Sophia Kennedy. My family tree was prepared circa 1950 by a professional genealogist for my Grandfather David Rose.

1. Does "1st of Dalnaheigleish" indicate he was born there?

2. Why was it important to note Dalnaheigleish next to his name? To make it easy to identify him apart from all of the other Alexander Rose's in the UK?

3. Could he have been a tenant farmer at Dalnaheigleish?

The only thing I found on the meaning of Dalnaheigleish was a paragraph in an 1893 history of Nairnshire.
About a mile south of the Princess Stone, occurs another of the places bearing the name of Ballintore an ecclesiastical association which would indicate that a Columban chapel had existed not far from the spot. Some two miles lower down the river, the haugh has the name of Dalnaheigleish Dal-na-Eaglais, "Field of the Church".
RESEARCH INTERESTS
---------------------------

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Scotland - Nairnshire, Rose (Alex>Alex>David (1846-1912) and Fraser
--------------------------------

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish" - Is Dalnaheigleish his POB?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
It is well worth checking the information on such a prepared tree. Sometimes professionals weren't as "professional" as they claimed.

In Scottish terminology, Alexander Rose "of Dalnaheigleish" owns the property; Alexander Rose "in Dalnaheigleish" has a lease of the property; Alexander Rose "at Dalnaheiglish" is temporarily resident there.

If "of" comes from a Scottish record, it indicates ownership. The problem is that people (and you find it all the time on Rootschat and elsewhere) use "of" loosely to merely indicate residence.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I'll assume the son of Alexander and Henrietta McAndrew born 04 MAY 1799 baptized on the 10th.  It looks like he was born at Tomlachlan witness by an Alex. Rose in Ferness and Alex. Clarke in Dalnaheigleish.

I suspect when Alex died he was the first of the line who died at Dalnaheigleish.

Reason is I have a copy of 1771 Valuation Rolls for Nairn at this time it was largely held by 4 gentlemen.  Even 100 years later in the 1873 version it is held by many more but still a few as most of the smaller farms aren't listed.

To see these places on map http://maps.nls.uk/view/74490587 look just below the "R" in shire with is below Nairn.  There you will see the Princess Stone if you look south and north you will spot the farm names.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I'll assume the son of Alexander and Henrietta McAndrew born 04 MAY 1799 baptized on the 10th.  It looks like he was born at Tomlachlan witness by an Alex. Rose in Ferness and Alex. Clarke in Dalnaheigleish.

I suspect when Alex died he was the first of the line who died at Dalnaheigleish.

Reason is I have a copy of 1771 Valuation Rolls for Nairn at this time it was largely held by 4 gentlemen.  Even 100 years later in the 1873 version it is held by many more but still a few as most of the smaller farms aren't listed.

To see these places on map http://maps.nls.uk/view/74490587 look just below the "R" in shire with is below Nairn.  There you will see the Princess Stone if you look south and north you will spot the farm names.

Don

Don, Thanks for your response. I am planning a Scotland visit and thanks to you it will be much easier to find Dalnaheigleish.

And yes, Henrietta MacAndrew and Alex 3rd of Tomlachan are on my tree as his parents.

What is the cultural significance of being the first of a line who died in a certain place? Is it a nuance of clan culture, pride of owning land?

I apologize for being so thick and asking so many questions but this website is a goldmine when it comes to the nuances of local Scottish family history. I have just begun looking into my Scottish ancestry. Asking experienced researchers saves Scottish genealogy greenhorns like me SO much time. It took me several hours of online searching to figure out that Dalnaheiglish was a place and that only came when I lucked upon the History of Nairnshire.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 01:08 GMT (UK) »
It is well worth checking the information on such a prepared tree. Sometimes professionals weren't as "professional" as they claimed.

In Scottish terminology, Alexander Rose "of Dalnaheigleish" owns the property; Alexander Rose "in Dalnaheigleish" has a lease of the property; Alexander Rose "at Dalnaheiglish" is temporarily resident there.

If "of" comes from a Scottish record, it indicates ownership. The problem is that people (and you find it all the time on Rootschat and elsewhere) use "of" loosely to merely indicate residence.
GR2 Thanks so much for your response. Your explanation is very clear. I've printed this thread for future reference. I do not know if "1st of Dalnaheigleish" was sourced from a Scottish record because my Rose tree has no source citations. Thanks to you and DonM I know my next steps for research.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
He would have been a tenant farmer, very few held land during this period.  The land he farmed was held by Dr. Hugh Rose of Brae who was the second largest land owner in Nairn.  The extent of his holdings list parts of the lands of Cawdor, Ardclach and Dalcross.  He was one of the heritor's of the Kilvarock line which in Nairn its holdings began to diminish in the early 1800's.

Enjoy your trip.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Minnesotan

Fantastic site here:

https://sites.google.com/site/highlandmemorialinscriptions/home/moray

There looks to be a reference to a stone for Alexander Rose. As mentioned on the site, you can leave a request on the guest book for a photo of the stone.

The stone, from snippets I can see elsewhere seem to read in part:

160. In memory of Alexander Rose died at Dalnaheglish 15th May 1845 (should be 1846?) aged 47 years. Also his wife Sophia Kennedy who died at Nairn 15th March 1885. And son J who died at Chicago 4th March 1878. Also of their daughters Isabella who died at …. August 1913. Jessie who died at Nairn 19th Nov 1920...

The photo of the stone will hopefully be clearer  :)

Monica   :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the designations 1st, 3rd etc are specific to the genealogist who compiled the original tree and used to differentiate different Alexander Roses. So Alexander was first generation to live at Dalnaheigleish but his father was third generation of Alexanders to live at Tomlachlan.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 21:56 GMT (UK) »
That would make sense Isobel, with someone (the genealogist) putting together the family tree in the 1950s.

I see from 1841 that Alexander Rose, Sophia and family show as Littlemill, Ardclach. A William Rose showed there in this list of head of houses from 1834 (not sure how complete it was...and you had to be a communicant: www.oldscottish.com/ardclach.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk