Author Topic: "Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish" - Is Dalnaheigleish his POB?  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish" - Is Dalnaheigleish his POB?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 February 16 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Genealogy rockstars - all of you! Haggis and a dram are on me when I'm in Nairnshire hopefully autumn of 2016.

I've attached a photo of said family tree. My great uncle Alexander Fraser Rose commissioned it. The lineages on it are Rose, Fraser and Patten. Perhaps it will help someone else in their research.

I was incorrect about the tree not having any source information. Zoom into the bottom right corner for that.

MonicaL - The most complete transcription I found for that cenotaph was about 2 weeks ago. Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. Matt v 8. In memory of Alexander Rose who died at Dalnaheglish [sic] 15 May 1846, age 47 years. Also his wife Sophia Kennedy who died at Nairn 15 March 1885 aged __ years. And their son John who died at Chicago __March 1878 aged __years. Also of their daughters Isabelle who died at Nairn __Aug 1913 aged __, Jessie who died at Nairn, 19 Nov 1920, aged 60 years. Erected by the surviving family members.
http://her.highland.gov.uk/hbsmrgatewayhighland/DataFiles/LibraryLinkFiles/9344.pdf

Below is an obit for Mary Rose nee Fraser (1842-1912), my great grandmother. Mary and hubby David arrived Castle Garden, NY, April 1883 with their children - Daniel, Alexander, John Junior, David Whitlock and Sophia. David Whitlock died in the U.S. about 1884. They named their son born 1886 in Stevens County MN David Rose. He is my grandfather. The couple also had a daughter born in Minnesota, Jessie.

Mary died 12 June 1912 at their homesteaded property at Island Lake, Northome (previously called Ardenhurst), Itasca County, Minnesota

-------------------

Bemidji Daily Pioneer, 15 June 1912

Man Who Died Two Weeks Ago Succumbs to Typhoid Fever.
GRANDSON IS IN CRITICAL CONDITION

Mrs. David Rose of Northome, died last evening at St. Anthony's hospital, typhoid fever being the cause of her death.

Mrs. Rose was born in Nairn, Nairnshire, Scotland, in 1844, and was 68 years old at the time of her death. She was married to David Rose while in Scotland and several years later they moved to America, making their home near Herman and later at Deer River. From there they went to Northome, her present home, by canoe, there being no other means of getting there. She was one of the pioneer women of Northome.

Two weeks ago her husband died of typhoid fever and a week later she contracted the disease. She was taken to the St. Anthony's hospital in Bemidji at once and everything possible was done for her but of no avail. The body will be taken to Northome tomorrow morning and the funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon from her home on Island Lake, four miles of Northome.

Mrs. Rose is survived by four sons, Alex of Minneapolis, Dan of this city, John and David of Northome, and by two daughters, Sophia Guptill and Jessie Cross, both of Northome.

Alex Rose arrived in the city yesterday and will go on to Northome in the morning. Mrs. Rose's little grandson, David, who has been making his home with her for some time past is now in St. Anthony's hospital, he also being sick with the fever. [Little David is David E Rose, son of Daniel. He was age 6 and his mother had died 2 years prior which was undoubtedly the reason he was being raised by his grandparents. He did not survive. He died 14 July 1912.]

Dan Rose of this city, father of little David, is also in a serious condition with typhoid. [Dan survived. He died in 1953, age 79.]
RESEARCH INTERESTS
---------------------------

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Scotland - Nairnshire, Rose (Alex>Alex>David (1846-1912) and Fraser
--------------------------------

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 16 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Mary Rose nee Fraser (1842-1912), my great grandmother, subject of obit I posted
RESEARCH INTERESTS

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 16 02:11 GMT (UK) »
David Rose (1843-1912), my great grandfather and hubby of Mary
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 February 16 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I would have interpreted 'Alexander Rose, 1st of Dalnaheigleish' to mean that Alexander Rose was the first of his line to own Dalnaheigleish.

If I were you, I would arrange to spend a day in the Historical Search Room of the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, where I would look up all the sasines relating to Roses in Nairnshire (there will be a lot of them!). This should be pretty simple once you have got one of the staff to show you how the RAC Search Tool works (or sometimes doesn't work). A sasine is a record of a change of ownership of land and buildings, and you should be able to find out whether, and if so when and how, Alexander Rose became 'of' Dalnaheigleish.

You need to provide ID and a photograph to get a reader's ticket for the Historical Search Room. See http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us/historical-search-room and make sure that you take the correct documentation with you.

There is at least one oddity in that chart of the descendancy of David Ross. It says that all family records were lost in the burning of Elgin Abbey. Now, as far as I know, it was Elgin Cathedral, not Abbey, that was burned by the Wolf of Badenoch in 1390. It was certainly built and consecrated as a cathedral in 1224.and remained the seat of the Bishop of Moray until the Reformation, and a Cathedral outranks an Abbey, or so I understand.

You would think that any professional researcher worth their salt would get that sort of thing right. So if the compiler of the chart got their abbeys and cathedrals mixed up, maybe they also got their ins and ofs mixed up, especially if they were unaware of the specific significance of the word 'of' in this context in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, Thanks for your response. I did get my original questions anwered. I know where Dahlnaheigleish is on a map and I understand the significance of adding "1st of Dalnaheigleish" to said ancestor's name on said tree.

On 9 Feb Gr2 also explained the important distinction between in and of.

On 10 Feb DonM posted that Dr. Hugh Rose of Brae owned the land on which my ancestor was a farmer.

Also 1871 Scotland census states that my David Rose was "Farmer of 200 Of Which 47 Are..."

Dr. Joan Rose and another person, both residents of Scotland, researched my ancestry. They are cited as such on the lower right corner of the tree. My great uncle who lived in New York commissioned the research. He did the calligraphy. It could be that the research notes properly indicated "of" versus "in" but that the error was the calligrapher transforming the notes into the tree.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Besides "of", the only other error I've discovered on that tree thus far is that Daniel Fraser who died 1869 may not have been a Captain in the military. I have not yet proved or disproved he was in the military.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Aye, well, I have pointed out another error in that chart. Where there are two errors there may be others.  I have suggested a means whereby you can, if you wish, verify some of the information. It's your call.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, Good to know. Thanks again for your contribution.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline alandrose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
One of the many stones at the Ardclach Church is that of Alexander Rose, born 1799, and died in, I believe, 1845 or 1846.  He was my great-great-grandfather. Alexander married Sophia Kennedy.  One of their sons, David, who was born circa 1843, emigrated to the US in 1883 with David's wife and children, one of whom, Alexander, was my grandfather.  It was my grandfather Alexander who prepared the family tree photographed in the RootsChat. We have the original of the family tree.  I last visited Ardclach in 2007 (before that, 2004) and found the stone to be in fairly good, but decaying, condition, with not all words apparent. David and his family went to Minnesota in the 1880's, where they settled and remained for the rest of their lives.  My grandfather Alexander was an architect.  He moved to Miami and then to New York, where he lived in Stewart Manor on Long Island.  My father, William Allen Rose, was born 1907 in Minneapolis, attended West High School, moved with his family to Miami and then to New York in the 1920's.  More to come in a later chat.