Author Topic: Charles Heath Tutor To Last tzar Of Russia Born 1826 Bisham  (Read 1515 times)

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles Heath Tutor To Last tzar Of Russia Born 1826 Bisham
« on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Could AKS have a look at military records for this man he died in 1900 and lived with the royal family for 40 years so the time was between 1840 and 1860 he was at Cambridge at some time too, any information would be much appreciated :)
Heath Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Berkshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Heath Tutor To Last tzar Of Russia Born 1826 Bisham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:48 GMT (UK) »
where did he die? 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Had a state funeral in St Petersburgh

Offline imsij

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking for information about Jessie Handyside, who allegedly worked for the imperial family in Russia sometime between 1878 and 1905, and in the course of some Google searches came across fragmentary mentions of Heath (see below), but have no record of the sources. If you come across any references to her, or a photograph, I'd be interested to hear.

Charles Heath (1826-1900) a graduate of Cambridge University, went to Russia before the Crimean War. One of his first positions was that of English tutor to the Grand Dukes Sergei and Paul, the two youngest sons of Alexander II. After holding professional positions at the Imperial Alexander Lyceum and the Naval Academy, he was appointed tutor in English to the two eldest sons of the Tsarevich Alexander (later Alexander III). From that time (1879) until his death (1900), he remained an intimate of the Imperial Family, a very close friend of Alexander III and his family. Alexander's son, Nicholas (later Nicholas II), was evidently very fond of him; he presented him to Queen Victoria when he was visiting England in the summer of 1894. On his death, all the imperial family, except for Nicholas who was in the Crimea, attended his funeral.

A lot of memorials in the Smolensk cemetery in St. Petersburg have been lost, possibly destroyed during the Siege of Leningrad in the 1940s. I'm not aware of any list of those that survive, but there may be one somewhere. 

There are numerous photos of Heath on the web. 

There may be more information in Rappaport's paper, but I have not seen that yet.

Ian Johnson

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 16 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian, This post was a while ago and since i've got quite a bit of info on him, I;ll send you Helen Rappaport's paper if you wish (Just e-mail me privately), I'll have a hunt round for Jessie Handyside and will as Helen if she came across him in her research

Offline imsij

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »
It seems that I had not posted often enough on Rootschat to use the PM facility.

I'll try again.