Author Topic: David Rose married Mary Fraser @ Forres on 19May1874  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
David Rose married Mary Fraser @ Forres on 19May1874
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Here's the indexed record.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYSF-NFM

Where do I look for irregular marriage sheriff's warrant? No local sources include these on finding aids. Thanks.

Edit - I know about this excellent explanation of irregular marriages.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=348725.0
RESEARCH INTERESTS
---------------------------

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Scotland - Nairnshire, Rose (Alex>Alex>David (1846-1912) and Fraser
--------------------------------

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Rose married Mary Fraser @ Forres on 19May1874
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Minnesotan,
     The marriage of David Rose & Mary Fraser, 1874 at Forres, Moray, can be found on ScotlandsPeople which is the official government website for Births, Marriages & Deaths in Scotland. It is a 'Pay-to-View' site but you view actual certificates, not transcriptions. 30 Credits can be bought for £7 and you would need to use 6 credits to view this MC. (1 credit to view index & 5 credits to view certificate)
     More information at:
               www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
     Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 16 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply ecksdochter.

Will the imaged marriage record tell me if they had obtained a sherriff's warrant?  My understanding is that IF theirs was an irregular marriage they decided to register, they needed a document from the sherriff before they could do that.

RESEARCH INTERESTS

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Minnesotan,
     Yes, it will say. The Certificate is exactly the same Certificate as a 'Regular' marriage, but in Column 1, 'When, Where and How Married' under the date & place it will probably say "By Declaration in Presence of," followed by Witnesses signatures.
     In Column 6, "If a regular Marriage.....If Irregular, Date of Conviction, Decree of Declarator, or Sheriff's Warrant". In this column, instead of the usual Minister then Witnesses signatures, it should say "Warrant of Sheriff (or Sheriff Substitute) of," followed by the County name, then the date.
     All other information should be the same as a 'Regular' marriage. Name, occupation, age, address and parent's names of both bride & groom.
               Regards,     Dod.

Added. Found an example here:
     www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/marriages#Regular
     Click on Regular and irregular marriages.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Minnesotan

Why do you think that David and Mary's marriage may have been by sheriff's warrant/irregular?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
No Sherriff's warrant mentioned.   Says they married 19th May 1874 at Royal Hotel, Forres - after banns according to the F...(can't read this word) of the Free Church of Scotland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     Annette, Standard wording on a Scottish MC is, "After Banns according to the Forms of the.....Church" (In this case Free Church)
     I assume that Column 6 has the Minister and Witnesses signatures as per Column heading, "If a regular Marriage, Signatures of officiating Minister and Witnesses". Therefore, a straightforward, regular marriage.
               Regards,     Dod.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not Sherriffs Warrant - signed by Irland (??hard to read) Robertson, F. Church Forres and 2 witnesses John Jenner and James Campbell.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
ecksdochter, Annette7 - Thank you so much!

MonicaL- According to family lore this groom offended his very religious widowed Ardclach mother or Rose elder(s) with an unmentional (i.e. unmentional to a teenage me who they knew was eavesdropping) moral transgression and that subsequent shaming and/or even shunning was David's primary motivation for immigrating in 1883.

I never knew what David had done or even if there was a kernel of truth to the rumor. Discovering this couple's prenuptial pregnancy (their first child Daniel was born 26 Jun 1874, 1 month after their regular marriage) caused me to wonder that might have been David's offense. Also it seems to me that an irregular marriage was important to know because given Scotland cultural norms it may have been more tolerable and not a shunnable offense to his elder(s).

Of course with family lore, there are and always will be a lot of factors that are not discoverable. This couple lived in Crieff for 9 years after the potentially offensive behavior and his Rose elder(s) including his widowed mother, were in the Ardclach area. Time and/or distance may have diminished any wounds. Or maybe they just needed 9 years to raise enough money to leave. 
RESEARCH INTERESTS