Author Topic: Donaghmore old cemetery  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Genealogygirl148

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donaghmore old cemetery
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I have a reference in an old family letter [about 1918] to an old cemetery where a family member was buried that year. Was there a cemetery in or near Donaghmore that was considered old at that time?

The letter writer was my great aunt Julia Brown who was from Kilnaslee, Pomeroy. It was her aunt Sarah [Sally] Brown nee Smith/Smyth that had died. Sally had married David Brown of Kilmore. Whatever cemetery it was, also buried there were several Brown families including the Charlie Browns and the Bill Browns of Blackhill and also a Shaw family that is related to the deceased woman.

These people would likely have been Presbyterian or perhaps Church of Ireland.

I've looked at a variety of maps including this one which shows churches by religion:   http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/
but have had no joy yet.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghmore old cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 16 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Genealogygirl148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 16 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,

Thanks for the response. I looked at those websites previously, but didn't find anything helpful. But I haven't contacted the people at the Donaghmore Living History website with my specific question - they may be able to help. That's a good suggestion.

Hallmark,

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen it before. It does have Shaws, but I don't know the first names of those my people connect to or how this Sarah/Sally Smith Brown is related to them. I don't see her in the list anywhere, nor the Browns I'm looking for [ Charlie Brown's family and Bill Brown's family].

But I enjoyed looking at the photos anyway.  ;)

Offline Mothership136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
The Browns of Kilnaslee would have been Presbyterian and belonged to Castlecaulfield Presbyterian.   The old graveyard they refer to might be the one at Carland Presbyterian Church, it being a much older church than Castlecaulfield.

Offline Genealogygirl148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, they were Presbyterian and my grandparents [one of them a Brown] did marry there. Carland being the "old cemetery" might be the one referenced. Thanks very much. Now, just to find burial records on-line!  ;)

Offline Mothership136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look at the headstones in Carland graveyard as I was passing today but it doesn't look likely.   Donaghmore Church of Ireland graveyard is more likely as there are plenty of smiths and Browns there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Presbyterian churches generally don't keep burial records so unless there's a headstone it may be difficult to determine if family are buried in Presbyterian ground. However, by 1918 there's a good chance a death notice will have been put in the local paper (depending on timing of death, funeral and printing of paper) so worth checking that.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Genealogygirl148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, those are good points. That would explain why I could only find mention of birth and marriage records for Carland Presbyterian. I do have a cousin that will be visiting Tyrone in June and I might be able to persuade him to check the graveyard there. I'll check on-line for an obit and hope the burial place is mentioned.

Thanks.