Author Topic: Richard Edwards + Elizabeth REDRUTH CORNWALL Help Please  (Read 7420 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Edwards + Elizabeth REDRUTH CORNWALL Help Please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 February 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
 the baptism would have free whenever it took place. I've come across babies being baptised on the same day as their mother was buried, but it may be the first time for the same day as the father being buried.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 February 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Osprey I really appreciate you finding that record - it is always nice to see the actual record, rather than just the words on a screen!

Do you all think then that I am right in concluding that RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS are the parents of RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS born 1836 in Redruth, Cornwall? And that the RICHARD EDWARDS B. 1788 + ELIZABETH JOHNS b. 1790 are these said parents baptisms?

Thanks again for all of your help.
:)  :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 February 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Osprey I really appreciate you finding that record - it is always nice to see the actual record, rather than just the words on a screen!

Do you all think then that I am right in concluding that RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS are the parents of RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS born 1836 in Redruth, Cornwall?
I would be happy to lick the pencil and make a darker entry on this fact. Given all the coincidental grouping of names on shipping lists and baptisms. 17 at marriage still gives me pause. But we see females as young/younger as that so why not!!

And that the RICHARD EDWARDS B. 1788 + ELIZABETH JOHNS b. 1790 are these said parents baptisms?

Thanks again for all of your help.
:)  :)
I would still hesitate on this until I found further confirmation. I too have slight concerns about her childbearing age. Though 44/46 is within the limits :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 February 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I was concerned about the 16/17 age for marriage, but I think we've established that three of the daughters were 16, incl the one married in Adelaide.

The 1788 bpt for Richard ticks a lot of boxes age-wise incl his age at death. The naming patterns for the children help. One thing that worries me is the gap between the last child bpt in 1836 and the previous in 1829!

I'm happy to accept 48 as the cut off age for childbearing, particularly if they are coming along regularly, although this is not the case here.
The 1790 baptism is an issue. The census says Elizabeth was 45 in 1841 so date of birth is abt 1792 -1796. So it is possible that the bpt and census are not the same Elizabeth.
As David says we need further confirmation. A death prior to 1847 when all her children leave would be handy.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 February 16 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David;

Yes that was my thinking also. I just can't find any other records of a RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS baptisms around that time, in that area. Other researchers doing other trees (not following my line) have stated that the marriage between RICHARD + ELIZABETH was the third for richard - which could be very possible, given his age - but he does list BACHELOR on the marriage cert, and the other supposed marriages also occured in the same parish (redruth) so I would assume he wouldn't be able to claim he was a bachelor in the same parish as his other two marriages (but again, I could be completely wrong). As my RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS was the last child and fourth attempt at a surviving RICHARD, it does seem to fit in hesitantly as the parents of RICHARD EDWARDS were HENRY + MARTHA if I remember correctly.

Thoughts everyone? Have a missed a baptism around that time that could be possible for both RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS at all?

I'm used to researching GERMAN records; UK ones are no were near as detailed!

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 February 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David;

Yes that was my thinking also. I just can't find any other records of a RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS baptisms around that time, in that area. Other researchers doing other trees (not following my line) have stated that the marriage between RICHARD + ELIZABETH was the third for richard - which could be very possible, given his age - but he does list BACHELOR on the marriage cert, and the other supposed marriages also occured in the same parish (redruth) so I would assume he wouldn't be able to claim he was a bachelor in the same parish as his other two marriages (but again, I could be completely wrong). As my RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS was the last child and fourth attempt at a surviving RICHARD, it does seem to fit in hesitantly as the parents of RICHARD EDWARDS were HENRY + MARTHA if I remember correctly.

Thoughts everyone? Have a missed a baptism around that time that could be possible for both RICHARD EDWARDS + ELIZABETH JOHNS at all?

Sorry didn't mean to have GERMAN in capitals; that looks really snooty! The germans are just so particular with any record keeping it is amazing! some of the records I found even had birth weight and mother's lying in period duration listed...

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 February 16 00:40 GMT (UK) »
As my RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS was the last child and fourth attempt at a surviving RICHARD, it does seem to fit in hesitantly as the parents of RICHARD EDWARDS were HENRY + MARTHA if I remember correctly.

Henry and Patience?
Btw, you can use the modify button to change a post after you have posted it (eg to change German back to lower case.)

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 February 16 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes sorry HENRY + PATIENCE :) And thanks i didn't know i could modify :)

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 February 16 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Found Elizabeth and Patience EDWARDS in the 1841 Census living with Andrew and Mary CHAPEL.
Piece: HO107/143/17 Place: Penwith -Cornwall, Redruth, E D: 10
Folio: 10 Page: 13 Address: West End
Elizabeth is listed as a dressmaker. Their ages are 20 and 10. These ages fit the bpt dates on page 1 of this thread.
So we have accounted for the entire family.
Also at this address is Mary JOHNS, dressmaker aged 20. She becomes Elizabeth's sister in law.