Author Topic: Ann Alesbury, born 1680 Darlaston.  (Read 738 times)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Alesbury, born 1680 Darlaston.
« on: Thursday 11 February 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Ann Alesbury, born 1680, Darlaston, Staffordshire.  Her parents were Philip de Alesbury, born 1660 and Margaret de Keynes, born 1660.

This is the furthest back I have ever got on any part of my family tree, and it is from finding on Ancestry the Blair Family Tree when I was searching for information about my ancestor Sophia Handley, 1776 to 1858.  The line from her husband John Hale, 1769 to 1850, leads back to what sounds like aristocracy?  Or something close. 

By searching on Google I found a Sir Philip de Aylesbury who died 14th July 1349, Sherriff of Bucks and Beds, MP of Milton Keynes, whose wife was Margaret Keynes, heir to the manor of Milton Keynes.  I don't know if they are related to my ancestors born in 1660 with the same names.

I haven't checked it all out yet, and there was a huge amount of information on Ancestry's Blair Family Tree.  I am still wondering if somebody hasn't made a wrong guess along the way.  If these people were connected to their fourteenth century namesakes, surely the connections along the way would have been mapped out.

I had read previously that if anyone digs back in their family tree far enough, they will hit aristocrats whose genealogy is already mapped for generations.  This probably doesn't mean too much, as these will be common ancestors to millions of 21st century people.  I can't remember the exact numbers I read, but I seem to remember reading that if you go back 500 years, your ancestor will have millions of descendants.

Does anyone else here share this tree, or know anything about these people?

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Alesbury, born 1680 Darlaston.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I tried just working from Ann Alesbury, born 1680 in Darlaston.  There are some good parish records online for the parish church of St Lawrence, Darlaston.  I found her baptism listed Ann d/o Raphe & Margaret ALESBURYE 14th Feb 1677 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~uktranscriptions/St_Lawrence_Darlaston_1665to1692.htm

I think the Blair Ancestry Tree just made a mistake.

There is also a burial for 1680, Margarett w/o Raphe ALESBURY 30th May

And a wedding 1663 Raph Alesbury and Margaret Comberledge, 20th November.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has an image of the christening of Ann Alesburye, dau of Raphe and Margarett, 14 Feb 1677 (the old year ran Lady Day (25 March) to Lady Day).

FindMyPast has a transcribed marriage details for
1. an Ann Alesbury to a John Hale at Darlaston, Nr. Wolverhampton on 30 April 1697
2. an Anne Alesbury to a Nicholas Lyllie at Stoke Prior, Worcestershire on 27 Jan 1697

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has the christening (image/transcription) details of -
John, son of Thom and Isabell Hale at Darlaston, St Lawrence on 29 Sep 1672, denom. Anglican

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I found this site
https://familysearch.org/search/
had a lot of information too.

I am unsure about the information in the Blair Ancestry Tree, which says that Thomas Hale 1654 to 1723, was born 26th January 1654 Darlaston, Staffs but died 23rd December 1723 Glastonbury, Hartford, Connecticut, USA.  It says he had a second wife, Naomi Kilbourn, born 1656, and that his first wife Elizabeth died in Darlaston, born 1655, mother of John Hale 1672-1775.

As I did, you are finding the wife of Thomas Hale and mother of John Hale named Isabell.  But some sources are saying she was Elizabeth.

The Blair Tree shows a lot of those people were born around this region and died in Glastonbury, Hartford, Connecticut, USA.  Which seems strange as their descendants remained in England.

The Blair Tree may be what is confusing me.  The Thomas Hale I have researched was born in 1651 and baptised 3rd March 1651 in Bradley, Staffordshire.  Maybe I have the wrong person too. My information was only  a baptism found on the Family Search website, parents given as John Hale and Elizabeth.  I couldn't find any baptism under the name of Hale within two years of 1654 in Darlaston St Lawrence, so I don't know where the Blair Tree got that birth of 26th January 1654, Darlaston, Staffordshire, for Thomas Hale.

It is possible that if some of these people were Puritans, who emigrated to America, they may have had their own denomination, separate from the Anglican church of St Lawrence, Darlaston.  Very odd that the Blair Tree was so specific about the date and place of Thomas Hale's birth, yet I can't find it in the records of St Lawrence, Darlaston, which look meticulously recorded.