Author Topic: Wickhams in Wadhurst/Ticehurst  (Read 2569 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wickhams in Wadhurst/Ticehurst
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Having had a look through the census records I don't think they are the same :(
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I think they are different people too. He really seems to have come from nowhere. How likely is it that someone would have been either unbaptised/baptism unrecorded in those days?  ???

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather Charles Webb b1833 in Catsfield was never baptised as far as I can see. He was the son of Hannah Webb who was unmarried.
So unfortunately, fairly common. The only way I found out eventually was by finding a will of Hannah Webb that named him as her son, up until that point I was never really sure.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline AncientKate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 August 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Only just picked this thread up, but I'm pretty convinced Jesse was the son of James Wickham and Hannah Wickham (nee Hollands). I'm descended from William Wickham (baptised to James and Hannah 4 Jun 1809 in Wadhurst) and I have a 4th-6th cousin DNA match with a descendant of George Albert Wickham (Jesse's son).  James and Hannah don't appear to have baptised any children between William (1809) and Sarah (1823) but the Wadhurst registers list the burials of 5yo Edward 13 May 1820 and infant Emma 28 Apr 1820 - in both cases their parents are given as James and Hannah.  So James and Hannah definitely did have children between 1809 and 1823. I think there's another brother Jonathan (abt 1819) - in the 1851 census he's living with my ancestor William. I've never been able to find a birth registration for him either but when he married Frances Collings in Burwash 24 Dec 1838 his father is given as James Wickham.
Hope that helps.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 August 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
That does seem a good possibility Kate. I have sent you a message.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As a newcomer Kate will not have access to personal messages until she has two posts.  A quick reply on this thread should activate the system so she can reply to you.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten about that! She has tracked me down on ancestry and sent me a message that way :)