Author Topic: Colvin-Buttery descendants  (Read 2118 times)

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Colvin-Buttery descendants
« on: Friday 12 February 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
On 4 June 1839, Mary Hope Johnstone Colvin (of Johnstone, Dumfriesshire) married Alexander Warren Buttery (of the Monkland Iron and Steel Company). Can anyone tell me anything about their descendants?

Norval Smith

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colvin-Buttery descendants
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 16 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Norval
check out this link  http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl,  The 1851 census Alexander Warren Buttery age 1 Hellen 10 Isabella 5, Gartness Cottage Airdrie, the home of William Marshall ?

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 16 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the one-year old namesake, and I presume, son. I also discovered that Iron Master Buttery was staying in a hotel in Edinburgh at the time of the census at the same time as his brother-in-law, Iron Broker William Colvin (later of Craigielands), and as a banker, a broker, a solicitor and two American speculators. Doing deals, I guess.

Thanks.

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
And meanwhile Mrs Buttery, née Colvin is keeping the home fires burning, with the help of some servants at home at Cardarroch.

Norval

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
His wife Mary was at the family home Cardarroch, Chapelhall, parish of Bothwell in 1851 with a companion, a nephew Alexander B Marshall age 15 and a load of servants.
Alexander died on 20th March 1877 in Bridge of Allan usual address Cardarroch, Monkland. He was living at Cardarroch in 1871 with a couple of female servants and a visitor Henry Fisher age 19 from England ( transcribed as Alex A Busley on Ancestry!!)
Mary died in 1892 in a mental hospital in Edinburgh. She had been there since at least 1881.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a million for this information. Do you happen to know anything about their children? I am assuming that Alexander, Helen and Isabella were their children.

Norval.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:13 GMT (UK) »
By the 1861 census these three children are shown with the surname Marshall and are living with James Marshall as his children. I'm not sure that Alexander and Mary had any children. The executor of Alexander's will was a John Buttery described as the sole surviving executor previously of Glasgow but living in London. Further research suggests this was John Buttery born in Monkland in 1832. He was an East India Merchant and was living in Belsize Ave, London in 1891 and 1901 but was in Cornhill, Monkland in 1881. He was married to Jane Kay and had at least one son, Alexander Kay Buttery.
Isobel

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 February 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Scotland, National Probate Index (Calendar of Confirmations and Inventories), 1876-1936 - Alexander Warren Buttery - Cardonoch House,Parish of Bothwell died 19 March 1877 Bridge, Allan - testate granted at Glasgow to William Colvin, Merchant of Glasgow, John Buttery Merchant of London, and Campbell Gillan Merchant, sometime in Glasgow now abroad , Executors nominated in will or deed dated 23 August 1866 and recorded in Court books of Commissariot of Lanark (original confirmation 10 October 1877)- granted 24 December 1880

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 February 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I think there is some problem with the way the 1851 census  which shows Alexander Warren Buttery and siblings with the Marshalls has been transcribed. Familysearch shows the births of these children as Marshall (parents William and Mary) with Buttery as a middle name. I don't believe that Alexander Buttery and Mary Colvin had any children.
Isobel