Author Topic: Colvin-Buttery descendants  (Read 2105 times)

Offline norvals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Colvin-Buttery descendants
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody, for all the information.

On Family Search I see that Alexander Warren BATTERY Marshall was born on 12 Jul 1849 and baptized at Shotts on 29th Jul 1849. Maybe the census-taker thought it was a surname. This suggests that Isobel is right. The children arrive at suspiciously even intervals every 2 years otherwise.

Alexander Buttery's vistor from England in 1871, the 19-year old Henry Fisher, has now made sense. I learnt a few minutes ago that Elizabeth Goldie Colvin, Mary's sister had been married, according to a 2003 request for information from a Ron FISHER in Australia, the Rev. James McNaught Fisher (son of a Dumfriesshire couple John Fisher, farmer in Rosebank and Loaningside and Janet McNaught).

Norval Smith

Offline gorse44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colvin-Buttery descendants
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 September 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Norvals,
I have come across the Hall-Buttery firm before, and their engineering company. The third child of Rev Robert Colvin and Marion Laidlaw of Johnston parish, Dumfries-shire, she was born in 1818. her full name was Mary Hope Johnston Colvin, and in June 1839, she wed Alexander V Buttery, later of Monkland Iron and Steel Works.

I'm interested in tracing the life of the Rev Colvin's 6th child, Jessie Hunter Colvin, who was born in 1826. She died in 1890 in Stirling, which is the town I'm interested in. Mary HJ Colvin and Alexander Buttery had no children. She died at the Royal Edinburgh Asylum, Morningside and an inventory was made. She died on 21 Dec 1892, outlliving her sister Jessie, who died in 1890. Alexander left considerable legacies to his siblings, including the wife of the minister of Inchinnan.

Mary HJ Colvin or Buttery died in Morningside Lunatic Asylum, and her inventory says she held a bond secured over property in Govan. She had a curator from 1892, suggesting that she was not capable of running her own affairs, although no reason was given. Considering that she was born in 1818, she was now about 74, so was possibly suffering from dementia or another age related disease. Another outdated title for the institution in her inventory is Royal Edinburgh Asylum for the Insane. She was apparently admitted in September 1892. It is signed by William Colvin, stockbroker, who was her great nephew, not her brother of Craigielands (he was already dead).

I'm in search of a photo or other image of Jessie, but the Buttery family are even more intersting, although they're not the subject of my reasearch.
Does anyone have a picture of Jessie or any other of the Covlins?
Thanks