Author Topic: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **  (Read 65839 times)

Offline OffRocketeer075

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ** POSTEMS on FreeBMD **
« Reply #45 on: Monday 04 September 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Some English Counties have their own Free BMD sites.  I know Cheshire and Lancashire do, and they sometimes give more information during the search which can mean it is more likely the correct Certificate is ordered - or not needed yet. :)

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Agree with everyone on this subject - I too had no idea about the Postems and will put as many as I can on now! Thank you so much for putting this on as a reminder.  Wondering how many I have missed through not being observant enough to notice the little envelopes   :-[ :-[
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline Bob Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Beeonthebay - Just as an example take a look at this record.  There is an envelope alongside the index just click it.
Marriage Dec qtr 1904   
Emily Ritchings   
Haslingden    8e   281

Well I never!!!  I didn't even know this existed!!  I can see the typed up very useful information but when I tried to open up an actual scan nothing happened with either link even though I did different formats.  Should I be seeing a copy of a parish register or an actual marriage certificate or am I missing the point here?   ::)

Silvery is correct there is nothing else that you can see other than what has been put on the postem.  The scan is what you should be checking against before ordering a certificate or if you think there is a transcription error as it is a copy of the GRO index.  You can also report transcription errors on this site.

The example I gave you also shows on the entry for her husband James Frederick Wilkinson  ;)  You can if you like leave an email address if you are hoping someone may contact you, personally I don't.

You can leave your e-mail address if the postem concerns someone who is on your tree, however you can replace with words like "at" and "dot" to prevent it being harvested by hackers. By putting my e-mail in this form a while back I was contacted by another researcher of the same family tree so this does and can work. Have just downloaded to "WRONG" death certificates from the GRO so have posted details on the relative postem FreeBMD record. didn't take long, including details such as where and when died, home address and informants name address especially if a relative. This when seen would enable a search for a burial, newspaper notice and electoral rolls which are now coming online.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 29 December 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I totally agree!

I added my pdf certs info into postems earlier this month. Every cert I have, I have entered the info.

Regards

Gillian

;D ;D ;D
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
This DEFINITELY needs to be made sticky.

Only recently, I was wondering how viable it would be to create a site where people could record the information from the certificates they had bought (wanted AND unwanted) to save others the expense of buying certificates which turned out not to be irrelevant.

If it's already there ... we need to start using it ... and encourage everyone in our community to do so. The more of us do it, the more useful it will be ... a bit like that project to decipher the quarter million papyrus fragments found in 1930!

Apparently there was a site that did just that (can't remember the name of it), but it's no longer being updated.

I'm actually starting to build one now to allow people to share the details off BMD certificates. I'm hoping it will be live in a couple of months.

I'd be very interested to hear if people think they would use such a site?
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 January 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »

Apparently there was a site that did just that (can't remember the name of it), but it's no longer being updated.

I'm actually starting to build one now to allow people to share the details off BMD certificates. I'm hoping it will be live in a couple of months.

Rootschat also allows you to post details.   ;D

Personally I would not go looking for a further site.  I do post my certificates on freebmd as I consider that the site is used as a search for lots of us when doing our research so certificate details on there are a bonus.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 05 January 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I wrote up my latest batch to FreeBMD and Ancestry. It's a shame the certs don't have the GRO index number on them really, I've got so many certs and not all of them can be identified after the fact.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 05 January 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
If they are births pre 1911 you can double check them for the registration details on the new GRO index which gives mothers maiden names
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 14 January 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
This DEFINITELY needs to be made sticky.

Only recently, I was wondering how viable it would be to create a site where people could record the information from the certificates they had bought (wanted AND unwanted) to save others the expense of buying certificates which turned out not to be irrelevant.

If it's already there ... we need to start using it ... and encourage everyone in our community to do so. The more of us do it, the more useful it will be ... a bit like that project to decipher the quarter million papyrus fragments found in 1930!

What's the point of starting a new site?   The hard work's already been done (by volunteers) on freebmd.   And sharing certificate information into a postem on there is easy.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"