Author Topic: Peter and John Collins  (Read 1998 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter and John Collins
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 February 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I had seen that but I dismissed it because I thought that the other two surnames were other surnames of his mother and I thought she couldn't possibly have any more. I didn't realise that they could be the surnames of spouses or informants so it is a possibility especially with it then working out as the right year of birth for him. I've just had a look and there is a marriage in 1933 of John Collins to Ann Neilson which could relate to the death record.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 February 16 23:05 GMT (UK) »
You will be able to view the marriage certificate online :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is for a William John Collins so it doesn't look like it's his death. Thanks for helping.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 16 17:52 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is for a William John Collins so it doesn't look like it's his death. Thanks for helping.

I wouldn't rule it out simply because you can't find a marriage - seems to me there are more things that match than don't: mother's maiden name Collins, age right and place of death right, based on the information you have from the family. Are you able to find out from the family whether those two surnames mean anything to them?
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's true. Unfortunately there's very little information from the family as it's all quite a delicate subject for various reasons. My husband has not heard either of those surnames mentioned.