Author Topic: Boston, Lincs and The Wash  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Wharncliffe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boston, Lincs and The Wash
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
First of all thanks to everyone who replied with tips what to look for.
Part of the book I am writing will focus on the internment of the sailors in Germany. One trawler, Skirbeck - BN81 (photo attached) was 22.08.1914 Sunk by Cruiser gunfire in North Sea, crew taken as prisoners.
The crew are listed below. The skipper, J.T Baker died in the prison camp. The challenge would be finding as much information as J. T Baker as I can. I would appreciate any help.
Thank you all again
Mark
PS - I found the his card on the IRC website, needs translating lol
J. T. Baker, Skipper (died in prison camp)
W. Ward
H. Marsden
L. Braime
J. Bontoft
G. Warner
H. Bontoft

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 February 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I know the names Braime and Bontoft in a Boston context only. The other names I believe are widely distributed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 February 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Did you check Lewis Braime on the ICRC site?

Offline cavair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Boston fishermen
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 August 16 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark,

Ive just seen your post on Rootschat about the Boston fishermen in WW1.
My wifes grt grandfather was Charles WALKERLEY who was on the Julian captured in 1914, came home Jan 1918.
We have been researching the Walkerleys for some years and a few years ago I had been in contact with a lecturer at Lincoln college/uni who sent me some details. 
I have a transcript of the newspaper report of the homecoming in 1918 of some of the fishermen (along with other prisoners.
There is also a book published privately about the Boston fishermen ...not sure if it is still available though, but i think there is a copy in Boston library.  Charles and other men are in photo on the front cover.

There is also a Ruhleben POW camp website which has a lot of names and info on it...it was run very much on British social class lines! 

We now live in Lincs having moved in Dec 15 from down south, so now i am continuing the research into the Walkerleys.

Do let me know what your interest is and I will try and help.
Richard

BANKS -North Yorks/Durham;  ORD - Durham;  WALKERLEY / HUGGINS / KING - Lincs;   CAVILL - Bristol;

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boston fishermen
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark,

Ive just seen your post on Rootschat about the Boston fishermen in WW1.
My wifes grt grandfather was Charles WALKERLEY who was on the Julian captured in 1914, came home Jan 1918.
We have been researching the Walkerleys for some years and a few years ago I had been in contact with a lecturer at Lincoln college/uni who sent me some details. 
I have a transcript of the newspaper report of the homecoming in 1918 of some of the fishermen (along with other prisoners.
There is also a book published privately about the Boston fishermen ...not sure if it is still available though, but i think there is a copy in Boston library.  Charles and other men are in photo on the front cover.

There is also a Ruhleben POW camp website which has a lot of names and info on it...it was run very much on British social class lines! 

We now live in Lincs having moved in Dec 15 from down south, so now i am continuing the research into the Walkerleys.

Do let me know what your interest is and I will try and help.
Richard

Richard would you have this information available still. My great grandfather was from Grimsby and was imprisoned in Rehleben in 1914. I am looking for any info on his life in the camp and any pics. I have a small reference pic of him his Name was Wiliam Andrew. he was a cook on a ship