Author Topic: Jessie Robertson b 1901 Forres lived in Buckie  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Robertson b 1901 Forres lived in Buckie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 16 00:49 BST (UK) »
"Peggy" is a variant for Margaret

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 October 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
Annie,
Yes I know Peggy is a variant of Margaret and believe me I searched under everything I could have thought of but if her mother lied on her birth certificate as she had before I have little chance of finding Peggy's birth. The only reason I found out about Jessie's birth was that Mary her mother got caught by the authorities and the birth certificate was amended but she obviously was not caught with Peggy's certificate.
Seoni

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
I note with interest that Mary Robertson is not listed among the family of George and Jessie Robertson in Forres in the 1881 census. Nor is there either a Mary Robertson or a Mary Sinclair of the right age, born in Ross-shire. Is it possible that Mary also lied about her own name and/or birthplace? Do you know where her brother William Robertson was born and who their parents were?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
Were Mary and brother William's parents a George Robertson and Mary Dickie? The only death for a William in 1936 in Banff showed as a 66 yr old William Custar Robertson in 1870 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYY4-RX5 There is also an entry for a Mary to these parents in Aberdeen in 1860 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYRW-RJ4 Other children also show for this couple born in Nairn.

1871 for this family I think:

George Robertson 30 rope maker b. Aberdeen
Mary Robertson 29 b. Aberdeen
Mary Robertson 10 b. Aberdeen
George Robertson 8
Jane Robertson 6
David Robertson 5
Ann Robertson 3
William C Robertson 1 b. Inverness

Address: 40 Grant Street, Inverness

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tina1208

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoni

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to find this but I can help you with regards to Peggy. Peggy is/was Margaret Helen MacRae and she was the illegitimate daughter of Hughina MacRae and Alexander McIntosh - Alexander was the illegitimate son of Ann McIntosh who was Jessie Robertson's sister. I do not know what happened to Hughina apart from that she went into the poorhouse in 1907 which is presumably Peggy went to live with William and Jessie.

Peggy was my grandmother. She married Robert Watson Cowper in 1927 and they had 3 children - their son Robert being my dad. She names William and Jessie as her parents on her marriage certificate. Her husband died in early 1940 leaving her with 3 children of her own and one of them was only 2 months old. The two eldest went into the care system and neither of them saw or heard from her again. All three of her children have now died. I have tried for years to trace her but she seems to have vanished into thin air. I would give my eye teeth to know what happened to her and to her mother. But everyone who would have been able to help seems to passed away. Great shame.

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Peggy Robertson 1907
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 June 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tina
How I managed to miss this message of yours I do not know. I am so glad I found it though. It solves the mystery of Peggy. It turned out to be such a sad story. Don't give up looking for information on her. I finally found out what happened to William Robertson's sister Mary. It took ages to unravel and so now I have to find out what happened to Jessie/Janet who was her daughter and was the girl with Peggy in 1911 in the home of William and Jessie. I am now waiting patiently for the 1921 census to be published. I hope it might throw up some useful information. Thank you for your help.
Seoni