Author Topic: Ransom family of Richmond Hill, Ontario  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ransom family of Richmond Hill, Ontario
« on: Sunday 14 February 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
 I would appreciate some assistance. I would like to get some information about Stanley Alfred Ransom and his wife Mildred Melvina Ransom, nee Dickenson.

Stanley was born 1903 in Richmond Hill, Ontario, one of several children born to Moses Ransom (1863-1930) and Minnie Ransom,nee Griffin (1871-1932). Stanley  ran a barber shop in the town. I have all the information I need about Stanley prior to his marriage to Mildred in Toronto on February 27,1925. Mildred was given in the marriage record as Mildred Melvina Dickenson, age 21, born 1904 in New Brunswick the daughter of Walter Dickinson, born 1875 in New Brunswick, and Mabel Libby born 1875.

Voters lists show Stanley as a barber with wife Mildred from 1925 to at least 1957 but it appears that either Stanley died about 1957 or they were divorces because Mildred appears on her own living at 31 Yonge St after 1957 and up to 1965.

I known from voters lists that Stanley had a son Stanley who also became a barber but I don't know if Stanley senior and his wife had any other children.

There is a reference in Voters lists of a Stanley Ransom as a barber with a wife Betty Ransom in Richmond Hill in the years of 1957 to 1965 which may be Stanley senior son and wife or perhaps Stanley senior second wife?

I would like to find out a death records for Stanley Alfred Ransom and his wife Mildred. Also want to find out anything about Mildren Melvina Dickenson and her family before her marriage. Also would like to find out any information about the children born to Stanley and Mildred, especially their son Stanley junior. Stanley senior and Mildren would have died many years ago having been born circa 1904 and I would expect that many if not all of their children would be dead by now.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I havnt been able to find any photos of the Ransom family either but I do have a postcard view of Yonge St in Richmond Hill that shows part of the front of Ransoms barber shop with the red/white barber pole .

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Ransom family of Richmond Hill, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Obituary of Margaret Moore nee Ransom - Margaret Elizabeth Moore, age 86 of Fowler, Ohio, died on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - She was born on February 7, 1928 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the daughter of the late Stanley and Mildred Dickinson Ransom, Sr. Other than her parents, Margaret was preceded in death by one brother, Stanley Ransom, Jr.

Burial - Dugan Cemetery in Fowler Twp., Ohio

http://www.lanefuneralhomes.com/obituary/Margaret-Elizabeth-Moore/Fowler-OH/1383556

With the help of the obit and http://www.whitepages.com/ others should be traceable.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
RANSOM, Stanley   Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery - York - Richmond Hill- YK-RCH-006
RANSOM, Stanley A.   Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery -   York - Richmond Hill -   YK-RCH-006
RANSOM, Stanley A., Jr. Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery - York -Richmond Hill -YK-RCH006
RANSOM, Mildred (Dickinson) Richmond Hill Presbyterian Cemetery -York    - Richmond Hill- YK-RCH-006

http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php

If nothing else materialises on here, perhaps an email to the cemetery would help with dates.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Stanley Alfred Ransom died at his home, 31 Yonge Blvd South, Richmond Hill, on Jan 12 1959.  Husband of Mildred Dickinson, father of Mrs H Mabley (H...see obit Sandra found for full name), Mrs W S Moore (Betty) and Stanley.  In his 56th year.  Interment Richmond Hill Cemetery.

Toronto Star, 13 January 1959, page 30.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
A Stanley Alfred Ransom died in Bracebridge on Nov 2 1991.  I wonder if this is a grandson.. and the 3rd Stanley listed in the OFCA results that Sandra found.  If so, his siblings are likely still alive, so I will post initials only.  Son of Betty Ransom of Willowdale and the late Stanley Ransom.  Brother of S and her husband L, D and his wife B, B and his wife K, B and her husband C.  No last names are given for the sisters and their husbands.  7 nieces and nephews are mentioned... again, no last names, so not sure which are Ransoms and which are other names.

Toronto Star 4 Nov 1991, page C28

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
As for Stanley and Betty, found on the voters lists... I see an obit for a Phyllis May Mabley in 1967.  She is the mother of Betty Mabley, wife of Stanley Ransom of Richmond Hill.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Betty Mabley Ransom obituary

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Betty-Ransom&lc=3774&pid=144642087&mid=4345226

Wonder if she is related in any way to the Mabley who married H, daughter of Stanley and Mildred Ransom?
RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Your a star RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks... love the cuddly teddy :) :)

RK