Author Topic: Parents of Richard Probert c 1750  (Read 2071 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Richard Probert c 1750
« on: Sunday 14 February 16 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm currently having difficulties researching the parents of Richard Probert christened 2 Sept 1750 Ledbury to John and Sarah.  I believe I found Richard's brother, Benjamin christened 17 June 1753 Ledbury, but have been unable to find any other children born to a John and Sarah Probert in Herefordshire.  I know the family moved at some point after the birth of Ben to Bosbury, where John I believe died in July 1761 and Richard later married.  The problem comes down to the only marriage that I can find for a John Probert in the area is to a Sarah Boswood in All Saints Oct 1733. 

I am finding if very difficult to fathom that there were no children born to John and Sarah for 17 years of marriage, for even if they died young there are normally baptism/burial records to be found.  I am aware of the possibility that the family either moved away from Herefordshire and came back or they were from somewhere else and moved into Herefordshire.  The issue is, of the two other John Proberts I found outside of Herefordshire that married a Sarah I can trace them in those areas until their death as well as all of the other children born during the time period appear to be born to those two.

Thus my question is do you think it is possible that John Probert and Sarah Boswood are my connection and they a) didn't have any other children or b) the records for other children are not yet transcribed/were destroyed? Or is it more likely that my john and sarah's records have not been transcribed/destroyed and mine are a completely different couple?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Thanks,
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Richard Probert c 1750
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry is giving free searches at the moment and shows several other Richard Probert births around 1750 in Herefordshire as well as hinting that your Sarah may have been Sarah (or Mary) Jordan and your Richard may have married Alice Churchman. You will have to join to get any more details.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I'm actually on ancestry.

My Richard married Sarah Haffield/Hosfield 1776 Bosbury. Richard and Sarah's eldest son is John which would fit standard naming practices of the times as well.

There is still this John Probert and Sarah that I need to track down as clearly the were having children in herefordshire and John and Sarah Boswood that were married there.  I'm not quite ready to give up on John and Sarah being the correct parents for Richard, it's just WHICH john and sarah?

Appreciate your input.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 16 13:53 GMT (UK) »
A John Probert married a Sarah Lloyd 22/10/1745 Ludlow, Shropshire

A daughter Annamaria bp.7/6/1746 Ludlow.

Then, nothing else for them at Ludlow.

There is only 32 miles between Ledbury and Ludlow so quite possible your couple moved there where there appears to be your Richard bp.2/9/1750 and a Benjamin 17/6/1753 Ledbury.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Those were the only other John and Sarah I couldn't trace to death.  I thought 32 miles was rather far--for back then--but I'll defiantly take another gander at them.

Appreciate it.
Nich

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Re the 17 years - have you ruled out 2 marriages to 2 different ladies called Sarah (the first one dying).  Also Benjamin is a name which was given to a child born after a period of barrenness (theory somewhat confounded by naming the apparent first born Richard).
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:46 GMT (UK) »
No I have not ruled out two Sarah's but I haven't been able to find John marrying another one in the area between 1733-1750.

I didn't know that about the name Benjamin. Thanks for the knowledge.

Offline eleanor.harris253

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Did you find the "right" marriage for your ancestors John Probert & Sarah, the parents of Richard Probert born in Ledbury, Herefordshire? Assuming that you did not, then have you considered the possibility of John Probert & his wife Sarah (nee Sarah Ward). Although I have not seen a marriage entry for this couple, both of whom were "of Tenbury, Worcestershire", I know that a Diocese of Hereford marriage licence was issued to this couple in 1747 - which is a more likely year than the year of 1733 for another John Probert & Sarah. The Marriage Licence is to be found at the Herefordshire Archive Service (formerly known as the Herefordshire Record Office). Tenbury is about 20 miles from Ledbury.
Jean Dobson of Hereford

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello!

No I hadn't nailed down a correct marriage yet, but the one you mention does sound like a high probability.  Thank you so much for finding it.  Now I just need to find out how to access the Archive Service and look into it more.

Appreciate your help,
Nich