Author Topic: LEVERSUCH aka JEFFERYS - Baltonsborough - banns  (Read 1902 times)

Offline marymck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEVERSUCH aka JEFFERYS - Baltonsborough - banns
« on: Sunday 14 February 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have access to the Banns for St Dunstan's Parish Church, Baltonsborough - c.1864-65?

My ancestor Betsy Leversuch (aka Jefferys, Jefferies, Jeffery & variations thereof!) was I believe engaged to be married in 1864-65.  The banns may have been read, but the marriage didn't take place and in June 1865 Betsy gave birth to a boy: Edwin Leversuch.  The father was not named.

Edwin doesn't appear to have been a family name, so that may offer a clue to his father's name, which is what I'm trying to discover.  Quite a blockage in my family tree!

Here's hoping someone in the Somerset area may be able to help.
McKernan/Ferris - Belfast;  Leversuch/Jefferys/Jeffreys/Jefferies - Somerset;  Stacey - London/Surrey/Kent;  Price - London/Surrey/Kent;  Swinnerton - Liverpool/London;  Blackmore - Co Cork/Kent/London.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LEVERSUCH aka JEFFERYS - Baltonsborough - banns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
On FreeREG Betsey is a witness to what could be her brother Henry George's marriage in 1861. It states that the father's name was Gracious Leversuch.  There is another marriage in 1868 Eli Leversuch, and he has the father's name as Gracious as well. Both marriages are in Baltonsborough. Not what you are looking for, but might help.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline marymck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
On FreeREG Betsey is a witness to what could be her brother Henry George's marriage in 1861. It states that the father's name was Gracious Leversuch.  There is another marriage in 1868 Eli Leversuch, and he has the father's name as Gracious as well. Both marriages are in Baltonsborough. Not what you are looking for, but might help.
regards.

Hi Paco

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, Gracious Leversuch was Betsy's father.  She had quite a number of brothers and sisters and had already had one child out of wedlock before she gave birth to Edwin, a little girl who died in infancy.  But I know the surname of that little girl and I think I know what happened to the little girl's father.  But Edwin's father remains a frustrating mystery.

Betsy gave birth to her little girl when she was aged 17.  There's then a long gap before she has Edwin.  And a still longer one before Betsy married.  She didn't marry until she was in her 50s and I'm pretty sure the man she married then wasn't Edwin's father.

Edwin Leversuch was my great-grandfather and, although I have traced back through his mother Betsy's lineage, I'm stuck with his father's side.  That's where I'm hoping the Banns may offer a clue.
McKernan/Ferris - Belfast;  Leversuch/Jefferys/Jeffreys/Jefferies - Somerset;  Stacey - London/Surrey/Kent;  Price - London/Surrey/Kent;  Swinnerton - Liverpool/London;  Blackmore - Co Cork/Kent/London.

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the Baltonsborough bmds for St Dunstans. I transcribed them for free reg.
What did you want to know.
Julienne

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baltonsborough - banns
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for relatives of James Parsons and Harriett Porter all of Baltonsbou
gh  George their son was only one to come to Australia
Julienne

Offline marymck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the Baltonsborough bmds for St Dunstans. I transcribed them for free reg.
What did you want to know.
Julienne

Julienne that would be wonderful!  Thanks so much.  The information I'm seeking would be in the Banns; not the marriages.  My great-great-grandmother - Betsy Leversuch (aka Jefferies & variants on the spelling) gave birth to my great-grandfather, Edwin Leversuch, in June 1865.

The father's name is blank on the birth certificate and the baptism records.  I have been told that prior to Edwin's birth, the Banns were read in St Dunstan's for Betsy's marriage to (rumour has it) a man from Oxfordshire.  That marriage didn't take place.  Unfortunately, I didn't know that when I was last in Somerset and so couldn't access the Banns myself.

Betsy didn't actually marry until many years later, when she married a local farmer who was a widower.  (I have the certificate for that marriage, but not to hand as I write). 

Edwin was not a family name, though I have found two other Edwins in the Baltonsborough area - one of whom emigrated with his parents at around the time of my Edwin's birth.  It does seem though that Edwin was the 20th most popular boys' name in the 1860s.  So I'd need a bit more to pin my roots on than someone of the same name who legged it to America!

Offline marymck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Julienne

I'll have a look through my Baltonsborough notes/records for your relatives.  I can't recall coming across them.  What sort of period are we talking about?  When did George go to Australia?

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
The rumour appears to be correct. The Baltonsborough banns register has the following:

Banns of marriage  between

Edwin Hart, bachelor, of the parish of Cowley, Oxon. and

Betsey Leversuch, Spinster, of this parish,

were published on 11, 19 and 26 Feb 1865.

Edwin Hart must be a very good candidate for your Edwin's father.

(The record has Sunday the 11 Feb 1865 although that was actually a Saturday.)

David

Offline marymck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 May 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
David that is an absolutely brilliant and priceless piece of information for me.  Thank you so much! 

My Edwin was born in June 1865 - so at the time the Banns were read, Betsy's intended obviously knew what he was in for and presumably thought better of it!

Poor Betsy.

Now to pursue the recalcitrant Mr Hart!!