Author Topic: Help tracing Philip Bevan of Blaenavon (died 1831 - 9)  (Read 1231 times)

Offline MattW224

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help tracing Philip Bevan of Blaenavon (died 1831 - 9)
« on: Monday 15 February 16 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I've traced my maternal ancestry to my fourth great-grandfather, Philip Bevan. I'm trying to determine his parentage, and date/place of birth, but am running out of resources. I live in the United States, and cannot make on-site visits to research libraries.

At this point, I'm unsure where to turn, and would appreciate any suggestions.

• Philip Bevan married Rachael Lewis on 28 May 1810 in Llanwenarth Citra, Monmouthshire. The ceremony was witnessed by parish clerk John Havard and Joshua Lewis, the latter probably Rachel's relative.

The marriage appears to be missing from digitized copies of the parish registers. The above information was excerpted from bishop's transcripts and a Monmouthshire marriage index.
  • Philip Bevan had an aunt, Elizabeth Bevan (c. 1753 - 1839), who lived in Swansea. She married William Richards (1748 – 1828) and Evan Williams (c. 1749 – 1836). Elizabeth and her husbands' wills mention Philip being a "farm bailiff" in Blaenavon.

Do any records survive that might identify what (or whose) land Philip managed?

Philip died between 1831 and 1839. Evan's will implies Philip is living, whereas Elizabeth's will mentions him dead. Realizing civil registration started in 1837, I located a Philip Bevan who died in Swansea. However, judging from the registration date, that Philip appears to be this one.

If he died in or after 1837, is there any possibility that Philip's death was not registered?
  • Philip Bevan attended Ebenezer Baptist Church in Blaenavon. The Blaenavon baptist church's records are not available in the United States. If his death is recorded anywhere, I suspect it would be there. The available records do not seem to include member's deaths.
  • William Richards' will notes Elizabeth's nephew, John Bevan of Cwindu [sp?] in Brecon, and Elizabeth Williams (married) in Morriston. I'm certain whether these are Philip's cousins or siblings. I tried locating their probate records at the National Library of Wales to no avail.
  • I searched for Philip in probate records and contemporary newspapers to no avail.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing Philip Bevan of Blaenavon (died 1831 - 9)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Withuot looking at the actual text, but based on my knowledge of welsh, I suspect John Bevan is of Cwmdu

Rachel (sic) Bevan is in Blaenavon on the 1841 census with a number of children, including a 1 yr old Mary. sadly no relationships are given, but if she was Philip's child you may need to be looking to the end of your timescales for his death.

Given others in the family went to the US, are you sure he did not go ahead and die there?

Offline MattW224

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing Philip Bevan of Blaenavon (died 1831 - 9)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 16 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I haven't located any references to Philip immigrating, and suspect he died in or near Blaenavon. His aunt's will also mentions him being "late of Blaenavon...deceased". I've ordered the Baptist cemetery records from the Gwent Family History Society, and will determine whether he's interred there.

Cwmdu seems correct. Unfortunately, there being many John Bevans of Cwmdu precludes me from pinpointing him in parish records or the 1841 census.