Author Topic: S27900 marker  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
S27900 marker
« on: Monday 15 February 16 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone comment on this information I received from the RP312 Project Monitor at FTDNA:

I am asking this because I found that my DNA results were S27900 positive. I was born in Wales.

Thanks
Llanfi   :) :) :) :) :) ???

"Here is a link to people  whose "Big Y" results show they carry the S27900 marker. Their kit numbers appear below their names.

http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=202

You should be able to see their earliest known ancestor in section G in the DNA sections of the project website; None lists an origin beyond the USA.
William Williams, c.1851 GA, TN or MS
Sterling Jenkins,  Wilkes Co, GA
James Price, 1623-1864 (ILL?) He does list Wales as his country of origin.
John Powel, b.1745 Newberry Township, York Co. PA

All of them have the rare 392=14 and 464c/d=16,18

I believe the S27900 marker was discovered by BritainsDNA in the UK. I have it on good authority that it is an old and important marker in Wales. FTDNA does not offer testing for it as an a la carte order, and it does not appear on their haplotree. However we were able to get them to include it in their new P312 SNP pack test".
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline joeflood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: S27900 marker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
What's surprising is that this is such an ancient obscure branch, peculiar to Wales, 4500 years old and there are so very many of you.  We have one autosomal gentleman in the CORNWALL project and he has about 30 Y-67 matches. There must have been some big population expansion in Wales in the last 1500 years or so, in which this rare uniquely Welsh group was a key player.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joeflood,
Thanks for your reply...
There are more S27900 people in FTDNA now, and they are offering a special low price for FTDNA clients wanting this additional test.
There is one with a variant from the usual 392=14 and 464c/d=16,18. They all have 392=14, but 464c=16 may not be "written in stone"
Based on a hunch, a common ancestor lived in North Wales, ca 1300 and was a Madoc
Does your CORNWALL gentleman have 30 EXACT Y-67 matches and is he also +S27900?
Cheers,
Llanfi

Offline joeflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 17 05:14 GMT (UK) »
We dont have any Cornish 27900,it is a unique Welsh marker as far as I can see (at least, almost all the associated surnames are Welsh). From the SNP count it looks to me as if it has been in Wales at least pre-Roman.

However there is a very large subgroup of Welshmen who have not yet tested and who do in fact date back to maybe 1000 AD or so. We know this because a Welsh autosomal member of our CORNWALL group has more than 100 Y-67 matches, all Welsh names. A few Big Y's in the group might let us target a common TMRCA; as I dont think STRs are very accurate. once you get out that far.

The multi-values STRs change quite quickly, so there are bound to be a few lines of S27900 with different #DYS392 

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information!
What is the CORNWALL group?
I have 70 Y67 matches on Family Tree DNA with genetic distances ranging from 3 to 7 about 80% with Welsh names, nearly all with earliest known ancestors in the United States
Not a single one (even Y12)  with my Welsh surname, however.
The "Family Finder" matches are all very obscure and seemingly useless
Cheers,
llanfi :) :) :) :) :)

Offline JonnyEd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting info. Thanks

Offline winmeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just got my Big Y results and I am s27900.  FTDNA is evaluating the results, apparently I have some new SNPs but just me or me and a Powell have them so they may not be declared.  Last name is Meek. earliest ancestor is a Thomas Meek born about 1735 in Antrim, Northern Ireland.  Family lore is the family went to Ireland from Cornwall.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Winmeek

I got my BigY results a couple of days ago as well. I had already been tested for S27900 and I don't think I got much value from the BigY data. There are a lot of "non-matching" SNP variants listed for you and the other 9 people on the S27900 group, and there is a list for your non-matching SNPs as well as the rest, and like you they list everyone else's BUT NOT MINE(??). There also also a discrepancy between the results shown on the "Big Tree" http://www.Tyree.net/DisplayTree.php?block ID=1009
I have done a laborious check on my Snaps and find that my Fetidness's search ended at A5970, that leaves me "hanging" while the Big Tree managed to go a bit further and separate six members into three separate groups.
I don't have the expertise to make much of the detail FTDNA's BigY provided, but I do think it is odd that my non-matching SNP variants aren't listed so that I can compare results with you and the others.
Maybe we can exchange screen shots of the Pugh and Meek variants, but we will have to go offline for that..
On the whole I am very disappointed with the FTDNA Big Y results, but maybe we will get more people in the S27900 haplogroup and our interpretions might get better as time goes on..

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Winmeek,

For Snaps please read SNPs and for Fetidness's read FTDNA BigY  .. (I used the Spelling Checker!)

I have a spelling chequer
It came with my PC
It plainly marks for my revue
miss takes I cannot see
I've run this poem threw it
I'm shore your pleased two no
its letter perfect in its weigh
my chequer tolled me sew.

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :)