Author Topic: Trolorg (Girvan)  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trolorg (Girvan)
« on: Monday 15 February 16 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have come across the place name 'Trolorg', Girvan, on some family birth certificates. 

Being a long way from Scotland, I thought it might be nice to google some images to see what it is like and zilch, not a single photograph on the net, or even a wiki page!  ???

Does anyone know if this is an abandoned village or just very small, would be nice to see what it looked like!  :)

Thanks

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trolorg (Girvan)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:38 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400170

Due east of Girvan it is a farm actually called Tralorg after the hill.  There was chatter about a windmill project, not sure where it stands nor whether the farm is still there. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline suziebadcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 16 01:39 BST (UK) »
Trolorg is a farm/pastureland.  It's located southwest of Penkill Castle (which is just southeast of Old Dailly).  Heading south from Penkill, bear right onto the road that follows, then eventually crosses, Penwhapple Burn (not B734).  Then, after the almost 90 degree right turn in the road, the Trolorg property is on the right.  There are two houses - Low (by the road) and High Trolorg (up the hill, maybe not quite a mile).

Trolorg was owned by the Johnstone family (my family) for at least 80 years. Some records show that my 3x great grandfather, Quintin Johnstone, was born there (in 1768). And I have a survey/map dated 1845 ordered by my 2x great grandfather (also Quintin Johnstone). The map indicates that the property was/is 374 Imperial Acres.

My guess is that the land was originally purchased by my 4x great grandfather, John Johnstone, who lived/worked, and raised a family, at Lovestone House on the nearby Bargany Estate.

My nephew and I visited Trolorg in 2005 - it's still open farm land with lots of sheep and cows.

I do have pictures, but I'm new here and can't yet figure out how to upload them.   :-[

Offline cdfjdk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suziebadcat
There doesn't seem to be an option on this website for sending private messages, so here's an open one!
I'm a descendant of John Johnstone Lovestone, so we are related. Would like to get in touch.
CJ

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
CJ, make another couple of posts & you'll be able to send a PM.

Skoosh.

Offline cdfjdk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
OK - thanks Skoosh!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
The link posted by Doran54 reply #1 no longer works.
Cowban

Offline suziebadcat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
CJ -

Hello cousin! My genealogy is pretty easy.  John Johnstone was my 4x great grandfather. From him, get past 5 generations of Quintins, and you get to me!

In going through old, papers, I came across a typewritten page that says the info is, “Extract from old bible in possession of Mr. E.M. Cathcart, Ayr.” The paper shows 2 marraiges for John:
1) 22 Aug 1763, then lists 6 children: Jean, David, Quintine, Thomas, James, Betty.
2) 11 Mar 1776, then lists 7 children: Janet, John (died), John, Barbara, Robert, Margaret, Kathrine.

There are notes on the page in 2 different hands. One note indicates that the first marriage was “Johnstone and Lady Betty”. For the second marriage, the note says, “The Cook”! (i.e. Catherine Park).

My dad told me that my g-grandfather (QJ III) always said that he could have claimed the Earl of Annandale title, but I haven’t found anything to support that claim. And - Ayrshire isn’t Annandale - so how did that crew of Johnstone’s wind up in Ayrshire? Inquiring minds...

Kathy J.