Author Topic: the mystery of William Hill  (Read 6722 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: the mystery of William Hill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
interestingly i know rachaels death date (1864) , but not where shes buried either.

Burial at Ockbrook
Rachel Hill
Age   70
Burial date 20 Apr 1864

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 February 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
interestingly i know rachaels death date (1864) , but not where shes buried either.

Burial at Ockbrook
Rachel Hill
Age   70
Burial date 20 Apr 1864

yes, ive got that now. that, along with some other records have been added since my original post.

cheers
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 August 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
MYSTERY SOLVED

I should have looked outside the box... i (and my late mother) assumed that the William Hill who married Rachael Hutchinson in Ashbourne in 1816 was William Hill 1783, son of William 1760 and Mary (Tarrat).

William 1783 married Ann Taylor at Ockbrook in 1806 - so we assumed that when William Hill married Rachael Hutchinson in 1816 and had children at Ockbrook and Borrowash including my direct Great grandfather x2 Edwin in 1825, Edwins father was William Hill 1783...

William Hill 1783 and Ann went to live in London where they had several more children (Eliza was born soon after they married in 1806) and lead me wrongly to assume he was a bigamist leading a double life. This was made more compelling as William, Ann, Eliza, and their other children were on the 1841 census, as if William 1783 had something to hide.

That assumption was wrong.

Rachael Hutchinson married William Hill 1760, (1783's father) after William Hill 1760s first wife Mary Tarrat dies in 1815.

It was an easy assumption to make, as William Hill 1783 was only ten years older than Rachael, and when Rachael married William Hill 1760, he was 55, she was 22 !!!

So William Hill 1783 was my great uncle x3, not my great grandfather x3.... that is now thought to be William Hill 1760.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 August 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
yes the millingtons were neighbours it seems

"He (samuel) married Ann Warren in 1835 at Ockbrook, their first child, Jemima, was born in 1839." so yep jemima was legitimate, i havnt her birth cert nor marriage just going off online info. 

im satisfied that jemima was anns daughter , whether or not her father is samuels or millingtons we will never know without dna. but samuel and ann were married well before jemima was conceived , so to have her living with the millingtons and citing william millington as her father is imho rather compelling evidence of anns disloyalty .

william and rachael did have a daughter mary in 1820, and its the younger william on the 1841 census that i believe to be hers.

mary is another one who vanishes, with no record of a burial, nor marriage, along with son william.

I can now discount this, it seems Jemima was Marys illegitimate daughter, not Ann and Samuels.

Offline JSMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 September 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
I cannot help you with William Hill but Jemima was one of my ancestors. I have the year of her birth as 1837 so it would not be registered.  She married in 1864 into a farming family, her husband died around 1915. I am sure it is the same family as I have her father as William Millington of Borrowash.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 September 22 12:54 BST (UK) »
Looks like Jemima was a late bapt;

JEMIMA Hill, 11 Jul 1852 All Saints, Ockbrrok
Mother MARY a Mill hand
Abode Shacklecross
(FreeREG)

Her Marriage is on FreeREG also .

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JSMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 September 22 17:34 BST (UK) »
Jemima was My Great Great Grandma, she married Jesse Sims in Ockbrook about 1864 and their son James, my Great Granddad was born about 1864 as well.  The Sims family were farmers in the Ockbrook/Borrowash area. They also had a son William and I think other children as well.

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 September 22 10:08 BST (UK) »
Jemima was My Great Great Grandma, she married Jesse Sims in Ockbrook about 1864 and their son James, my Great Granddad was born about 1864 as well.  The Sims family were farmers in the Ockbrook/Borrowash area. They also had a son William and I think other children as well.

Hello.... it appears then that we are related.

Jemima was the illegitimate daughter of Mary 1821, Marys brother Edwin 1825 is my direct ancestor.
Their parents were William Hill 1780 - 1830 and Rachael Hutchinson 1795 - 1864.

So we are both descended from William and Rachael... Rachael was Williams second wife.

The family tree is complicated but i have sorted it out... theres a lot of infidelity, shotgun weddings, bastardy case.

Let me know if you want any information, i have a lot!

Rob.

Offline JSMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 September 22 16:49 BST (UK) »
How lovely to find someone I'm related to, albeit distantly. I am interested in learning more, all I had until I found this thread was the name Jemima and her father was William Millington. Do you know where the surname Millington comes in? A friend typed Jemima Millington into Ancestry and it came back as Jemima Hill. He also found that she was living with the Millingtons at one point and down as granddaughter so I am confused. The family tree does sound interesting,