Author Topic: Morris family of Ledbury - am I on the right track?  (Read 732 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Morris family of Ledbury - am I on the right track?
« on: Wednesday 17 February 16 03:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying to find the baptism of the William Morris (born about 1811) who was convicted at the Lent Assizes, Hereford, in 1832 for stealing turkeys and transported to Australia. He was part of the Morris family who were notorious poachers in the Ledbury area and had previously served a number of prison terms there.

According to a report in the Hereford Journal, 12 Oct 1831, William and James Morris were convicted of poaching in the parish of Ledbury. This suggested that the two could be brothers.

A James Morris was bapt 12 June 1814 in Ledbury, son of William and Sarah Morris.
Other children of this couple, baptised Ledbury:
Elizabeth, bapt 12 Feb 1804
John, bapt 3 May 1807

William Morris married Sarah Morgan on 26 Feb 1803 in Ledbury. In 1841 they were living next door to son John and his family in Homend Street, Ledbury. They were both aged 70. In 1851 Sarah was a pauper, age 78, still in Homend Street, with a family lodging with her.

I found probable burials for William on 25 Aug 1843, residence Homend, aged 70 and Sarah on 6 June 1857, age 93, residence Union House.

Am I on the right track? It seems there should be more children but I can't find William anywhere.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk