Author Topic: Tynagh  (Read 2425 times)

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tynagh
« on: Wednesday 17 February 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a receipt from a Hoban in Tynagh 1893.  It is for a watch bought in Gloucester which is in my possession probably given to my grandfather who was brought up in Achill. These Hobans must be relatives. OK I have done all the usual searches so is there anyone else looking at this family?
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline TS6430

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tynagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was a Hoban and she was from Tynagh, Galway.  She came to USA in approx. 1915-1920 and married here (Chicago).  I know her relatives still live in Tynagh.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying. I have double checked 1901 census and their are only two possible Catherines but neither in Tynagh!  For possible fathers I have only a Thomas in Tynagh. Do you have any other information on her birthdate, other family members etc? Fundamentally I am looking for siblings of my Ggf b 1837/8 and cousins of my Gf b 1872 so Catherine would be likely. I am going to do a more detailed general post for Galway since I have only one reply to this. Do the relatives still live in Flowerhill? Alas records of this era are poor. I am in the UK but spend time in the West of Ireland.

Offline TS6430

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was Catherine Elizabeth Hoban born October of 1898.  She had a sister Therese and I believe a brother Thomas. I believe three brothers and another sister, but they lost track of each other after coming here and I dont have alot of information.

She married John Patrick Loftus, who was from Mayo.  I know she was born and lived in Tynagh, and had a brother who remained there. I had a brother who visited around 1981, and her family still lived in same houses, and my grandmothers house was still on property.

Thats all I really know, I know the records were terrible.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TS6430

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 16 05:36 BST (UK) »
That is them!  Amazing. My grandmother lost her mother as a baby. Everything is exactly as she used to tell us. Had a brother Patrick they called him Packy. Her sister Therese was Tessie. She married a man named McEvilly and lived in Chicago as well. I am thrilled to see this!  Would love to connect with a distant Hoban cousin in Tynagh

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
That is them!  Amazing. My grandmother lost her mother as a baby. Everything is exactly as she used to tell us. Had a brother Patrick they called him Packy. Her sister Therese was Tessie. She married a man named McEvilly and lived in Chicago as well. I am thrilled to see this!  Would love to connect with a distant Hoban cousin in Tynagh
d

I'm glad that you have seen the family.
Your family are Catholic and vmhp's are not so there may not be a connection.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
My Hoban family were RC until my Ggf's death in 1872. His wife was Church of Ireland and my Gf was brought up CofI when they had to return to her family. However a CofI Rev recommended my Ggf for the RIC which may have caused confusion and indeed I did not know that they were RC until a few years ago.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)