Author Topic: Tynagh  (Read 2429 times)

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tynagh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
TS6430 - Checking my notes I have further information for you but will sent a private e mail.
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Offline Cadon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tynagh Hoban Family
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 March 17 01:16 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Margaret Carroll's sister Bridget Carroll
married Thomas Hoban of Cappacuilla, Tynagh, in 1886 in Killimor church, a parish adjoining Tynagh. Brigid was born in Oldstreet, Tiernascragh where I myself was born. She had many children, most of whom emigrated to the United States-to Chicago, as far as I know. Her youngest child, Annie, was born in 1899 and she and her older sister, Greta Hoban, were brought up in Oldstreet, by my greatgrandmother (Bridget's mother) who like my grandmother was named Margaret Carroll. It appears that Bridget died soon after Annie's birth as Thomas Hoban, her husband was listed as a widower in the 1901 census. Catherine. Brigid, Margaret,Theresa and Mary Ellen were Annie's sisters.  They lived with their father in Cappacuilla. Patrick, their brother remained on the farm when his father died.There may have been more children - possibly a brother named Johnny who often visited Oldstreet. I have been trying to trace Annie who emigrated to Boston in 1927 but to no avail. Five of the Carrolls emigrated to Boston and I am in contact with one branch of the family who lives in North Carolina.  The Hoban family no longer lives in Cappacuilla and the farm has been sold. Hope this information is of some help.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 March 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Always good to hear more and maybe one day it will be sorted but fundamentally I am looking for those born circa 1837 (my Ggf's siblings) to a father John. I return to my receipt which I have been trying to upload with no success! After consulting watch experts I now know it is not a watch!

Date Aug 8th 1893, Bought of W E Watts & Co Ltd, Watch Manufacturers and Merchants, St Michaels House, Gloucester.
Item 1 - Aug 13 1892 - 1 et??? (hole in page from wire hook!) Dia Safety. £12. 10s
Crate 3s 6d
Item 2 - Mar 23rd 1893 -Kew? cushion tyre?, spokes repaired & new balls fitted. 19s
Settled with thanks8th Aug 1893.
Sent to Mr J J Hoban, Tynagh, Loughrea, Galway.

I can find no one into technical language of this era but think this could have been part of a horse draw carriage for visitors to the hotel in Achill? This company supplied equipment to Irish Coastguards so shipping would have been easy and J J Hoban must have been a relative to do this for my Gf - none in Tynagh 1901. All ideas much appreciated and will post separately re my family. Many thanks.

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 March 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I was reluctant to put full details on family in the public domain but curiosity and brick walls!
My Ggf William was born in Ballinasloe c1837 and is very well documented after joining the RIC in
1857 age 21. His marriage cert tells me his father was John a retired Army Pensioner deceased by 1866. The war office has lost a section of the records that probably applied to him. He may have died in 1862 when son returned home for while from Lancs Police. I have no idea which regiment but someone may know more and I am told they may still have some Regimental Records. William's four boys are well documented save one John Thomas b 1869 who emigrated to Chicago 1900 (ex RIC) and became a journalist 'for the Herald Tribune' but it did not exist as such then. Visited Cuba but was killed in 1905 in the New York area possibly. He did not stay in Chicago it seems. He did not marry. I inherited a vast quantity of information from the 1800s but apart from my receipt the only other Hoban mentioned was Laurence who rented a family cottage in Achill in the 1940s for a short while. All help gratefully received!