Author Topic: Looking for Bernard William Smeed  (Read 5316 times)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Bernard William Smeed
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 May 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Found the following  from 1922 Toronto Directory

Bernard W Smeed emp Canuck Tool Mfg.Co.. Ltd. res 16 Algonquin Ave

I sent a request off to The Toronto Ref Library for a look up in the 1923-1925 directories.  They will do 3 looks ups per day.

Cheers
Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline suemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Bernard was my grt uncle.  My grandfather Ralph Smeed did not talk much about his family to my mum.  I think he left behind a lot of pain when he came to Newcastle.  Many family skeletons in closet!  I have done a little research and really believe that Bernard and Agnes got married. In Canada at that time is was against the law to marry yr siblings widow.  It is too much of a coincidence to believe anything else. I seen something somewhere that Bernard died in Sussex but they may have wrong guy.   

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 00:48 GMT (UK) »
I have found the marriage of Bernard William Smeed to his brothers widow, Agnes Smeed.   As already mentioned, it was illegal to marry your brother/sister in law and Bernard did not marry with the name of Smeed, and gave ficticious parents:

Bernard Williams, salesman, 26, and Agnes Smeed, 28, widow married in Toronto, York Co., Ontario on 17th January 1922.   He gives his parents as Frank Williams and Mary Smith!!   (His brother John had married Agnes Baigrie Sept.qtr.1918 East Grinstead and had died soon after).  Agnes' remarriage to Bernard shows her parents as William Baigrie and Rebecca Dickson!

suemay - the 'Bernard' who died in Sussex was an Edward Bernard Smeed who was born 22/11/1895 Southwark, London and died Dec.1976 Hastings, Sussex.   (Bernard William Smeed also born 1895 but on 3/10/1895). 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lottie1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Bernard was my grt uncle.  My grandfather Ralph Smeed did not talk much about his family to my mum.  I think he left behind a lot of pain when he came to Newcastle.  Many family skeletons in closet!  I have done a little research and really believe that Bernard and Agnes got married. In Canada at that time is was against the law to marry yr siblings widow.  It is too much of a coincidence to believe anything else. I seen something somewhere that Bernard died in Sussex but they may have wrong guy.   

Hi Suemay,

I didn't know Ralph ended up in Newcastle so thank you for that!
Bernard was my 2nd great uncle because his and Ralph's sister Clarice was my great grandmother. It would be interesting to compare trees.

Kind regards,
Charlotte

Offline Lottie1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I have found the marriage of Bernard William Smeed to his brothers widow, Agnes Smeed.   As already mentioned, it was illegal to marry your brother/sister in law and Bernard did not marry with the name of Smeed, and gave ficticious parents:

Bernard Williams, salesman, 26, and Agnes Smeed, 28, widow married in Toronto, York Co., Ontario on 17th January 1922.   He gives his parents as Frank Williams and Mary Smith!!   (His brother John had married Agnes Baigrie Sept.qtr.1918 East Grinstead and had died soon after).  Agnes' remarriage to Bernard shows her parents as William Baigrie and Rebecca Dickson!

suemay - the 'Bernard' who died in Sussex was an Edward Bernard Smeed who was born 22/11/1895 Southwark, London and died Dec.1976 Hastings, Sussex.   (Bernard William Smeed also born 1895 but on 3/10/1895). 

Annette

...and just like that you guys have reignited my enthusiasm for the search!
I officially love this website  ;D

Offline Lynntomkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 April 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
Bernard William Smeed and Agnes Baigrie Smeed had two children in Canada, Bernard Lancelot Smeed and Vera Avril Smeed. I am the daughter of Vera. Bernard and Agnes were my beloved Grandma and Grandpa. My name is Janet Lynn Tomkins and I live in Toronto Canada. I am today returning from attending the 100th Anniversary Commemoration of Vimy. I have photographs of Jack, Bernard and Albert and visited Jack's grave in Ontario Cemetery near the Canal du Nord yesterday.

Offline Lottie1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 April 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Oh wow Lynn its nice to (kinda) meet you! Did you know much about Bernard's family in England? If you wouldn't mind sharing your photos they would be very interesting to see.

Charlotte x

Offline Lynntomkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 April 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
I really do not know anything about the English family other than that the Smeeds were originally German. Grandpa used to tell me about his great aunt Ann (his grandfather's sister) who spoke only German and kept the turkeys on the family farm.  My grandparents didn't really speak of the English family in East Grinstead and my mother never knew much or heard from her Smeed grandparents or relatives. I did hear that my grandfather's mother (who I was told was French) did not like my grandmother (Agnes) which now makes sense if Agnes was married to Jack and then married Bernard when Jack was killed at the Bourlon Wood in the last 100 days of WWI. I only found out that Albert existed a few weeks ago and knew nothing of any other siblings until I was on this website (while waiting for my plane). But many things make sense, the estrangement from family and staying in Canada, the difference in ages of my grandparents and the almost total silence about the past. What is your connection to the Smeed family?

Offline Lottie1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
I really do not know anything about the English family other than that the Smeeds were originally German. Grandpa used to tell me about his great aunt Ann (his grandfather's sister) who spoke only German and kept the turkeys on the family farm.  My grandparents didn't really speak of the English family in East Grinstead and my mother never knew much or heard from her Smeed grandparents or relatives. I did hear that my grandfather's mother (who I was told was French) did not like my grandmother (Agnes) which now makes sense if Agnes was married to Jack and then married Bernard when Jack was killed at the Bourlon Wood in the last 100 days of WWI. I only found out that Albert existed a few weeks ago and knew nothing of any other siblings until I was on this website (while waiting for my plane). But many things make sense, the estrangement from family and staying in Canada, the difference in ages of my grandparents and the almost total silence about the past. What is your connection to the Smeed family?

Hi lynn
Bernard was my 2nd great uncle because his and Ralph's sister Clarice was my paternal great grandmother.