Author Topic: Looking for Bernard William Smeed  (Read 5336 times)

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Bernard William Smeed
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind that unfortunately antibiotics were not around in 1919,Bernards diagnosis on the return to Canada list, shows that perhaps his life span was destined to be fairly short.
Suggest that someone searches for him in long term institutions in Canada.
Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lottie1987

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
That's a great point that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks so much

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlotte

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have not had a reply back from Library and Archives Canada yet on Bernard.

I have contacted them a few days ago to make sure that they received my request and they have but they seem to be backed up.

I did find out that you do not need a obituary or date of death for soldiers files in WW1. So that means you can go onto their website and fill out the request for his military file. I believe the cost is about $15.00 Canadian. They do accept credit cards. Indicate it is for research and either ask for the genealogical package or the complete file.

I am pretty certain his file will indicate his address in Canada as he survived the war. If I receive anymore information from the Archives I will forward it onto you.

Cheers  :) :) :)
Lillian

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Globe and Mail newspaper has Sgt Bernard Smeed, 53054, England, on the Official Canadian Casualty list, Oct 6 1916.  He is under "wounded".  (Printed in the Oct 7th edition of the paper)

Found an obituary for a Bernard Lancelot Smeed, born March 4 1922, died April 16 2000.  The obituary doesn't mention his parents, but given his names and his age, I would think he is likely related (son?) to your Bernard William.  His wife was the late Marjorie Brown (died 1992).  Father of S and her husband F Scamurra, and N and her husband R Meeke.  Five grandchildren are listed.   His nickname was "Buzz".  He worked at Hawker Siddeley.   
Toronto Star, April 18, 2000, page B7.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
If you think Bernard Lancelot is a relative, you can use Canada 411 to find the daughters.  I was able to locate the first daughter on this site.   Perhaps you could contact her to see if she knows anything about Bernard William?

http://www.canada411.ca/

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Found a birth announcement from 1989 for one of Bernard Lancelot's grandchildren.  Listed as Great grandmother was Agnes Smeed.  If Bernard Lancelot is Bernard William's son, then Bernard William's wife is Agnes, and she was alive in 1989, (but he was not). 

Another birth announcement at the beginning of 1992, one of the other great grandparents is listed (other side of the family), but Agnes is not. 

Not seeing an obit for Agnes Smeed.  Death would be between 1989 and 1992.

RK

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
1945 Voters List has Bernard & Mrs Agnes Smeed at 48 Afton Toronto.  He is shown as retired.

1957 Voters List has Bernard & Mrs Agnes Smeed at 30 Norwood Toronto.  He is shown as engineer?

1965 same as 1957.  He is shown as retired.

1974 Voters List has Bernard & Mrs Agnes Smeed at Apt 201, 675 Niagara St, Victoria BC.  He is shown as retired.

No BC death records for either up to 1993.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 April 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Agnes Baigrie (Baigres) married John L Smeed in 1918 East Grimstead Sussex

Agnes Smeed, 28, widow, parents William Baigrie & Rebecca Dickson married Bernard Williams, 26, parents Frank Williams & Mary Smith on 17 Jan 1922 in Toronto Ontario.

I suspect she may have married her first husband's brother and for religious or family reasons, he disguised his identity until a number of years had passed.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 April 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
I also found a passenger list for a Mr. B Smeed. 30 years Mrs B Smeed and two daughters  S Smeed  4 yrs and A Smeed 7 months . He is in the Army going to Egypt.
There is something else written behind B Smeeds name but I do not know what it  means.

Found this on An****try

My membership has expired  so could not get another look at it so maybe another chatter could take a look.

I also posted a previous piece of information indicating that Bernard W Smeed returned to Toronto in 1919 and that his dependant was his mother as indicated on his WW! CEF Attestation . So it does not seem to me that he was married unless he hid that from the Military.

Stranger this have happened.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland