Author Topic: Ellen Stewart looking for her death record  (Read 3715 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Stewart looking for her death record
« on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
It appears that my Great Grandfather John Gerald Stewart from Drumclamph, Ardstraw Tyrone married Ellen Thompson.  Ellen and her twin sister Sarah Jane were born on September 27, 1867, in Ballynatone, Co. Donegal, Ireland. She married John Gerrard Stewart on May 12, 1897, in Ballylennon Presbyterian Church, Parish of Cloghan Co Donegal, Ireland. Marrage was recorded in the Derry Journal  May 27 1897. 
In the 1901 census Townland of Lisclamerty, District of Kincraigy, County Donegal, Parish Raymoghey. John Stewart, her husband was not at home the time the census was taken.  In the form John Stewart's name is crossed out as Head of the house and Ellen's name is added.  In the 1911 census I can find one Ellen who matches the description of Ellen Stewart, she is married 11 years and is recorded as on her own but married 11 years.    Ellen Thompson lived in Treantagh, Trentaghmucklagh, Raphoe, East Donegal, Ireland, on April 2, 1911.

Relation to Head of House: Head Ellen Stewart 50 years of age: Denomination Presbyterian: Birth Place Donegal: Occupation farm servant: Can read and write: Married 11 years: No children, Disability Deaf: Trntaghmucklagh in 1911 census.

I am looking for Ellen Stewart nee Thompsons death record, I cant find any records of her death in Donegal.  My grandmother was born at Tullymortans Tyrone, I have a copy of her birth certificate. Mary Kathleen Stewart was born on June 5, 1902, in Castlederg, Tyrone, Northern Ireland, the child of John Gerrard and Eliza Jane.  I wondered did John Gerrard marry again, even if his wife had not died.  Any help that resolving the riddle.  Thanks  Angela

Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Stewart looking for her death record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Ellen's husband?
Stewart John Gerrard of Drumclamph Castlederg county Tyrone farmer died 15 September 1933 Administration (with Will) Belfast 1 March to John G. Stewart farmer. Effects £33 10s.

In 1911 he's a widower with 4 children (the youngest only 4 months old)
   www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Magheracreggan/Drumclamph/852446

In 1901 John is listed as married but no wife or children in household
   www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Magheracreggan/Drumclamph/1722541

Strangely enough, I haven't yet found any children born in Tyrone with father Stewart that match the 1911 census or details you've posted
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 16 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Even stranger are a few online trees which confirm the 1897 marriage record you mention but say that John married in 1899 to Isabella Duncan (1873-1903) and had a daughter Mary Kathleen on 5 June 1902 with a later wife called Elizabeth Duncan (married 1916).

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
CONJECTURE is that Margaret Stewart, John’s mother did not approve, although they were Presbyterian they are now C of E, or know of her son John's  first marriage in Donegal. Although it was recorded in the Derry journal and Margaret was from the Parish of Ballindrait, Donegal.  John may have returned to the farm to look after his siblings and the farm when his mother died, if his  mother did not approve of his wife his siblings may not have approved either.  He seems to have left Ellen in Donegal and lived in Tyrone.
Elizabeth Duncan who is registered in the 1911 census could have married John at a later date as in the census he is widowed.  Did Ellen Stewart nee Thompson his first wife die between 1901 and 1911 and did Isabella Stewart also die?      It appears that Elizabeth Duncan may have been the mother of my grandmother’s younger siblings.  Elizabeth Duncan could  also be related to Isabella Duncan.  I can’t find either  Elizabeth’s or Isabella’s marriage certificates to John.  I do not think that he divorced the ladies, as divorce was not that common at that time.  I can not locate the death certificates of the Ellen or Isabella or the births registered to the younger siblings at the farm at Drumclamph. Any ideas how I could extend my search  Please see attached the extent of my research.  Thanks for any help.  Angel
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you didn't understand my latest post?

According to several online trees, Isabella Duncan married John Stewart in 1899 and died in 1903, he then married 1916 Elizabeth Duncan (she seems to be the mother of 4 younger Stewart children). Elizabeth Duncan is with the Stewart family in 1911. If the younger children were illegitimate then they will likely be registered under Duncan rather than Stewart.

Offline FamilyBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
I came across this thread as I had documented Ellen Stewart on Wikitree as part of my trawl through the parish of Raymoghy in 1901 and 1911.

Rebecca's birth record from 1911: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01529/1619860.pdf - registered as Duncan with no father

Similarly John's birth record from 1909:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01593/1640050.pdf - registered as Duncan with no father

I cannot locate a birth record for Mary.

I can find no marriage records for John other than the original 1897 marriage. I do not believe divorce was possible in Ireland at that time; given the distance between John and his actual wife I would speculate it would be possible to live as husband and wife without too much issue. It is also possible there was no Isabella and the widow status is a cover.

Hope that helps a little.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 03:03 BST (UK) »

I'm struggling to substantiate some of the information posted in this thread, not least about Isabella Duncan marrying John G Stewart in 1899 and the couple having a daughter Mary in 1902. For example, to recap this specific piece of information posted at reply #3 above:

'My Grandmother, Mary Kathleen Stewart was born on June 5, 1902, in Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Northern Ireland to Isabella Duncan and John Gerrard Stewart.  Mary Kathleen, father John Stewart, living at Tullydoortans, mother Isabella Stewart formerly Duncan, fathers occupation farmer, Margaret Duncan registered the birth, was living at Tullydoortans, birth was registered on 20 June 1902.  Details on birth cert. Although my grandmother's birthday was 6th January.'

Not only can I not find the 1899 marriage, but the only birth that seems to fit the detail - Mary born at Tullydoortans on 5 June 1902, mother Isabella Duncan, birth registered 20 June 1902 by Margaret Duncan of Tullydoortans, relates to John Lecky, not John G Stewart:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01911/1741207.pdf

Which reads across to this family in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Altaclady/Tullydoortans/1750993/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the original poster never bothered to respond further to details posted but new resources are online.

Birth of Maggie Jane Stewart- born 12 June 1906 at Drumclamph, parents John George Stewart (farmer) and Elizabeth Stewart formerly Duncan (informant- mother Lizzie Stewart)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01730/1683559.pdf

... still typing

Offline FamilyBear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Indeed, I didn't post that last night as OP had apparently already identified the record, although I didn't realise they had the wrong one.