Author Topic: Locke, Silas looking for help  (Read 5921 times)

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locke, Silas looking for help
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Eileen Thanks ill look for these records they could be the same family.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 February 16 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Well the dates you gave for William Locke in Simcoe are correct and that family was from Armagh and used the name Silas so they were probably related. Is that you you're referring to as buried in Toronto?

William Locke of Derrycorr's son William Locke is listed as an insurance agent residing in Cleveland, Ohio on his 1889 marriage record and as a retired medical doctor on his 1936 death record. Both events took place in Toronto but I can't find census records for him and I can't account for his wife. His death record includes the details that he had ceased practicing medicine in 1935 after 50 years in the occupation which would mean he'd started practicing in 1885 (aged about 35), 4 years before his marriage. He's intriguing.

You need to focus on Canadian records and establishing siblings for Francis. As I said, finding a baptism record (if one even survives) for a Francis Locke won't help you at all unless you already have enough information to confirm it's the right Francis Locke. Usually that confirmation comes from already knowing the names of the parents or from knowing the names of siblings and also finding their baptism records so you can match the family.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi,
Tartaraghan Parish records are they available on line anywhere? I think this might be the right family, since I seem to be at a standstill in Canadian records I'm trying to reconnect from Irish records. I'm suspecting the marriage of Francis Locke and Mary Robinson is not the correct Francis as dates are off from the birth of their children and from my knowledge he came to Canada single with his sisters. I am hoping to maybe find his baptismal records to confirm the connection.
Since my ggrandfather carried on the Silas name and then Francis was the first born child of his the naming pattern of the firstborn son after grandfather on fathers side seems to fit.
I can't find any proof that William (simcoe ontario) and Francis are brothers, but again the naming pattern seems to follow.
I was able to get some more records from the cemetery for Francis and Mary, but again nothing that connects them to Ireland. No marriage record and |I can't be sure of the census records being the correct ones either. Francis had a nephew William also, but since I can't confirm the relationship to the father it might also be incorrect.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 February 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
No, Tartaraghan parish records aren't available online but at least it's a parish with significant surviving records so somebody might be able to help you eventually. Baptismal records don't usually have very much information though and you don't really know what you're looking for yet. Finding a Francis Locke, son of Silas would not prove he was your ancestor.

The Francis Locke who married Mary Robinson in 1840 definitely is not your ancestor but he lived in the same area. You might find his baptism record instead.

What evidence to you have that Francis had a nephew William? Following up on anything establishing siblings is by far your best bet.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
If we are working on the Lockes in Toronto, a birth notice for the birth of a son on the 25th April 1859 to Mrs. Francis Locke.

And a death notice for May 13, 1900, at 240 Sumach Street, Toronto, Rebecca Lester, widow of the late Wm. Locke, Co. Armagh, Ireland, and mother of Dr. Wm. Locke, Rev. John Locke, and Francis Locke. Funeral notice later. Portadown and Belfast papers, please copy.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Death registration for Rebecca gives her age as 80 years, 11 months, 19 days, so must be born about June 1819.

Name     William Locke     
 Spouse's Name    Rebecca Lester     
 Event Date     01 Apr 1847     
 Event Place     Killylea, Arm, Ire     
 Father's Name    Silas Locke     
 Spouse's Father's Name    William Lester   

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 February 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Death of William above in 1936. Obituary gives siblings as Francis Locke, 65 Elm Street, Toronto; Mrs. W.J.  Hewitt, Boisavain, Manitoba; brother of the late Rev. John Locke, Aurora, and Mrs. A.J. Pollack, Toronto.  Burial at Mount Pleasant. Belfast papers please copy.

This note at the end for Belfast papers suggests that they kept in touch with family in Ireland.

Rev. John was a United Church clergyman when  he passed away in 1935.  Getting in touch with the United Church Archives in Toronto should provide you with more information, including perhaps a place of birth. His obituary says he came to Toronto from Portadown.

On another note, there is a death of a John Locke in Toronto in 1885, grocer, aged 73 years, born in Derry Core (sic), Ireland.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi and Eileen thanks attached a copy of the info i got originally online from the person i lost contact with.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
found Ann Davisons Email hoping to make connection again to get copies of records through her.