Author Topic: Locke, Silas looking for help  (Read 5918 times)

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locke, Silas looking for help
« on: Thursday 18 February 16 00:50 GMT (UK) »

Silas Locke b about 1714 in Portadown, Armagh, NI married to Letitia Harrison they had at least 2 children,
a)William b 27 Nov 1759 married to Letitia? they had 8 sons and 2 daughters one unknown, he died 16 Sept1846
b) Silas Locke b about 1775 married to Margaret Lee they had 6 sons and 2 daughters, he died Aug 9, 1851

Silas Locke and Margaret Lee's children are as follows
1)Julia Ann Locke b unknown d 25 Dec 1856 in Toronto, On, Canada
2)Alexander Locke no info
3) John Locke no info
4) Robert Locke no info
5)Mary Jane Locke died oct 4, 1878 in Toronto, On, Canada married to Robert Marks about 1854
6) William Locke b 1802 in Armagh, Armagh NI died 19 July 1885 in Simcoe, On, Canada
7) George Locke no info
8)Francis Locke born about 1810 in Armagh, Armagh NI possibly married to Mary Robinson around 1840 no info for her.

Francis came to Canada approx 1846- no record suspected with sisters Mary Jane and Julia Ann
he married Mary possibly Robinson
they had at least two children in Toronto,
i)Silas Robert Locke b 25 Apr 1858 married Margaret Jane Dodds on 22 June 1887 in Toronto
ii)Mary Ann Locke b 13 Jan 1863 married William Dallimore

Any help would be appreciated thnks,

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Locke, Silas looking for help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 16 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Which is your direct line and what information are you looking for?

From your other post, it sounds like you got this from somebody else and haven't been able to confirm it? So you need to work backwards from your known ancestors.

I was able to make some preliminary connections among the children you listed as belonging to Silas Locke and Margaret Lee but I believe that some of that list from another family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Silas Locke, son of William & Margaret, married Elisa (Elizabeth) Cotton on October 19, 1887 in Hawkestone, Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario.  Witnesses were John Cotton of Oro, and Margaret Jane Locke of Flos Township.  Groom was Congregational; bride was Presbyterian.

This Silas was born 23 August 1854 and baptised in January 1859 in Oro.  There was also a Silas Corbett Locke, son of Joseph & Mary Eliza, born February 9, 1854, baptized August 3, 1854 in Barrie, Simcoe County.  Silas Robert Locke, son of Francis & Mary, was born 25 April 1859, baptised 1859 in Toronto, Home District.

There is also a Silas Locke, married to a Caroline, who is having children in the same timeframe: Henry Edmund, born 2 June 1859, baptized 6 July 1860 in Vespra, Simcoe County; Alexander Duncan, born 30 September 1860, baptized 30 December 1860 in Oro; and, Frederick William, born 13 June 1862, baptized 4 January 1863 in Oro.

All of the above baptisms are from the Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Registers.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks, I have all this it is older generations I am looking for. These Lockes in Simcoe County are distant from my direct lineage.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi in answer to your question the direct lineage is

Silas Locke gggggrandfather
Silas Locke ggggrandfather
Francis Locke gggrandfather
Silas Robert Locke ggrandfather
Harold Frederick Locke grandfather
Edward Harold Locke father

I have details for many of the family who settled in Ontario from Ireland, I only need help finding the Irish records

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I still need more details on what you already have.

It sounds like you can confirm Francis Locke who died 1885 in Toronto as your ancestor which should be pretty straightforward if you've looked at the Canadian records.

Do you have anything with Francis's parents' names? Because his age references are so inconsistent that finding an Armagh baptism for a Francis Locke within a 15-year period would be of little help.

I think Canadian records are key to confirming sibling relationships and ultimately parents.

Francis Locke's wife Mary died 11 Aug 1867 and was buried 12 Aug 1867. She was born about 1829 in Ireland which is consistent with her 1861 census return. The cause of death is listed as Confinement (pregnancy) and her stillborn daughter was buried 25 Jul 1867. I got that information from the Toronto Trust Cemeteries collection on Familysearch.

Mary and her daughter are buried in the same grave (Necropolis O 33) as Julia A Locke who was born about 1822 in Ireland and died 25 Dec 1856. This might be the same Julia who is on the 1852 census in Albion with a Francis along with an Ann Jane who I haven't accounted for. Is that what you have?

Francis Locke was also buried in that grave as was Mary Jane Marks, married woman, born about 1799 and died 4 Oct 1878. There is an 1828 record in the Armagh Diocese marriage licence bonds index for a marriage between a Mary Jane Locke and a Robert Marks.

You mentioned Francis and Mary being possibly married in 1840 but that seems way too early going by the Canadian records. There is a record of a Francis Locke marrying a Mary Robinson in 1840 in the Clogher Diocese but that doesn't look like a match to me. I would think they married around 1855-1858 based on Mary's age and their first known child being born in 1859.

The 1871 census has Francis Locke living with an Irish-born William Locke who isn't a son or brother so nephew is most likely. Have you traced him?

I have a working theory that your Francis was the son of Silas Locke from Derrycorr in Tartaraghan Parish. This Silas had a son William who stayed in Derrycorr but William's widow and most of his children went to Toronto or near Toronto. His son William may have been the William with your family in 1871 but I'm not sure about that.

There was a John Locke born about 1812 who married a Mary Jane Bell and whose 1885 Toronto death record says he was born in Derrycorr. He was a grocer like your Francis but I don't have more linking them yet.

Obviously the William Locke in Simcoe was not a brother of William Locke of Derrycorr so if you have proof that he was a brother of your Francis then that will disprove my theory.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 16 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Silus (sic) Locke shows up in the Freeholder Records in Derrycor(r) in 1828.  In 1819, his name is spelled as Silas Lock. His lifelease is in the names of George, Silas & William Lock. In 1818, there is also a George in Derrycor whose lifelease are in the same names, so almost certainly Silas & George are brothers or father and son.

Offline margden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi you are amazing, you've uncovered more in a few hours than i did in a few years, the only connection i have to Francis and Mary is that they were recorded as parents of Silas Robert Locke on his Marriage registration to Margaret Jane Dodds. 
Francis and Mary are also the only names on the baptismal record on family search for Silas Robert Locke my ggrandfather.
Since Silas Robert lived a few blocks away from the cemetery Francis is buried in (Necropolis) and the Methodist church was located midway between the house and cemetery I am also assuming that it is the correct Francis and Mary. The Cemetery and church were one of few in the city at the time.
Francis is also supposed to have had a sister Julia Ann and sister Mary Jane who married Robert Marks.
As for Francis having a brother William, I do have a brother William who had a son William as well not sure why i believe they were in Simcoe county Ont as they are buried in Toronto.
William Locke gravestone in Toronto ties him to Armagh county