Author Topic: Where is Robert Leckie (b1882-Glasgow), brother of Daniel.  (Read 2324 times)

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Leckie (b1882-Glasgow), brother of Daniel.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 16 14:46 BST (UK) »
Quarriers recorded that Robert had very bad eyes so l ruled out armed service (but checked the UK anyway), l have the b.m.d. and census of all known relatives in the UK but no sign of him in 1911. I am going to contact Quarriers again to see if any other descendants have requested information, troll through Glasgow newspapers for overseas recruitment, attempt to find marriage or death in both Canada and US then - if all that fails - resort to a professional genealogist, much as l enjoy the thrill of the chase!
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Proving quite hard to find your Robert only possible record as mentioned before for Canada don't know if it might be worth while trying the Mitchell Library to see if they would have any records
Rosie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I mentioned the term "recruited" but have no idea if the Robert Leckie sailing to Halifax actually was.
I used that term as almost every young man on the page of the manifest Robert appears on (and the one before and after) has the rubber stamp Railroad Labourer over their occupation in Scotland and has a destination of Halifax.
To me that looks like these railroad job positions were advertised and filled en mass. The company may have paid the mens passage. Some of then men are single. Some are recorded as married.
Would Quarriers organise work abroad for young men of this age group - 20+ ?

Good luck with your search .
Looby :)

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 July 16 02:18 BST (UK) »
Once Robert left Quarriers, there is no record of any further contact nor with brother Daniel so if Quarriers arranged such a group emigration, Robert was not part of it. I have confirmed with Halifax immigration personnel that it is almost certain that the 1907 Mongolian passenger is our Robert, they also noted that these workers followed the building of the railroad all across Canada so he could have settled anywhere but there are no matching marriage records. I found a death record in BC for someone with dementia, in a nursing home, never married and no family. The home administrator provided the personal details and they are almost identical to my missing Robert Leckie. Unless l can access the railroad records, guess l will keep it in the pending file until Cdn census records are released and we can track him.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
... Unless l can access the railroad records, guess l will keep it in the pending file until Cdn census records are released and we can track him.

The latest available Canadian census is 1921- have you tried that yet?

... I found a death record in BC for someone with dementia, in a nursing home, never married and no family. The home administrator provided the personal details and they are almost identical to my missing Robert Leckie.

This record? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLPT-466
Robert Samuel Leckie born 1872 according to certificate, occupation 'retired miner' but I can't see any mention of dementia. Wonder if the cemetery might have any other details?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!