Author Topic: William MILLER 1811  (Read 777 times)

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William MILLER 1811
« on: Thursday 18 February 16 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

For many years my family have been stuck on William MILLER 1811.  We know he was born in Edinburgh in 1811. The problem is there are two with the same birth years born at the latter end of the year in Edinburgh.

My William was a miner at Elgin Colliery, Dunfermline.  He married Isabella Miller (Same maiden name) in 1843 and then travelled to Newcastle where their first son was born, Thomas in 1844.

My question is how can we unravel which of the two Williams might be ours?

Any input gratefully received. ???

Tab11

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William MILLER 1811
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
You have my sympathy, Tab11, as I have a similar issue with my gg-grandfather who was born in Scotland and moved to Manchester where he married my gg-grandmother (also from Scotland).

ScotlandsPeople show only one William Miller born at Edinburgh towards the end of 1811. His parents were Robert Miller and Jane Low. The nearest others shown are at Wilton, Roxburgh and at Aberfoyle, Perth. Do you have another Edinburgh birth? I wondered if the Scottish naming convention might help - not 100% reliable as I well know, but a possible clue. And have you found William at the 1841 census yet?

Speaking of censuses, you mention that William and Isabella moved to Newcastle after their marriage on 22 Apr 1843. I've looked up the 1851 census and found William, Isabella and 7yo Thomas with three more sons living in Team Village, Whickham - more or less about a mile from where I live. William appears to be still in coal mining, although the 1851 census describes him as a labourer, as the family has moved about from pit to pit between 1844 and 1851. The three younger boys are born at Kibblesworth, Edmondsley and Winlaton - all well-known pits locally.

Note that Ancestry has a tree which shows William marrying an Ann Surtees at All Saints Church, Newcastle on 12 Dec 1835, witnessed by William's brother, Allan Miller (1816-1888). However, this tree has William being buried twice - first on 01 Jul 1861 at West Pelton, second in Jul 1865. This may of course be a typo.

Hope that helps!

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello tab11,
     Best way would be his Death Certificate, but, am I right in saying English DCs don't give mother's name? Scottish DCs (after 1855) give both parents names, including mothers maiden name.
     Don't know if this is any help but, in Scotland at that time, most families named their children in a particular order now known as the "Scottish Naming Pattern" I must warn you though, that not all families followed this order, so it's not 100% reliable, but can be a guide.
     The naming pattern starts:
          1st Son named after Father's Father.
          2nd Son named after Mother's Father.
          1st Daughter named after Mother's Mother.
          2nd Daughter named after Father's Mother.
          Children & Grandchildren's middle names, if they have them, can also be a clue. Scots often used mother & grandmothers maiden names as middle names.
     Before official registration in 1855, not all births were registered in Parish records so it is possible that your William is neither of the William Miller births you have found.
     Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both... Naming patterns are interesting but not always conclusive...

There was another one landj with Robertson Miller as the father.  I have William's DC but there weren't any clues there either...