Author Topic: Duke of Sutherland  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duke of Sutherland
« on: Friday 19 February 16 06:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a reference in the will of George Perry of West Cowes, Isle of Wight,  to a gold watch and chain presented to him by the Duke of Sutherland.   The will was written in 1906 and George Perry died in 1909.  Born about 1830.   I have no idea how to find out more about this presentation and would appreciate direction please.  J

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 16 11:10 GMT (UK) »
What was his occupation? Did he work for the Duke of Sutherland? Have you found him in census records to see if you can make a connection?

My great-grandfather was given a gold watch and cheque by his employer upon retirement in 1929 and the presentation was written up in several newspapers due to the employer's status.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
George Perry was a carpenter who had a business on the Isle of Wight.  Since posting my enquiry I wonder if it is connected with his firm of carpenters having probably constructed the inner coffin for Queen Victoria after she died there in 1901.  This story is not locked in - it was family oral history which I have not been able to confirm.  I have a remnant of fabric supposedly an offcut from the lining of the coffin but the provenance of this is also not able to be confirmed.   Enquiries of Buckingham Palace decades ago did confirm that the inner coffin was constructed by a local carpentry shop on the IoW.   J

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Don't see a connection to Sutherland though, maybe he had a yacht on the Solent or a wee flat?

Skoosh.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hard to know what the story was with Duke of Sutherland.  I am unaware of how usual it was for gold watches to be presented in this way.  There must be a story - a reward for services rendered above and beyond?  It seems to me it would have to be something major, not just payment for a run-of-the-mill job.  J

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a tenacious link but...

George Granville William Sutherland Leveson-Gower, 3rd Duke of Sutherland (1828–1892)

Cromartie Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 4th Duke of Sutherland KG (1851–1913)
   "In 1900 the Duke of Sutherland owned about 1,358,000 acres (550,000 hectares) and the steam yacht Catania, which was chartered by some of the super-rich of that era."

Perhaps George Perry did work on the Duke's yacht?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 21:08 GMT (UK) »
That's much more information than I had before, thank you!   It gives me a starting point for further enquiry.  It may also be a link to George Perry's son, George Donald Perry, who became a sailor, and later in South Australia was in charge of Enchantress, a yacht belonging to one of the wealthy.  In turn, George Donald Perry's son, George Richard Donald Perry, though born in South Australia, settled at Portsmouth/IoW and became eventually the captain of ships, (maybe ferries) based there.  The next generation was at Southsea (Talbot Street) and I visited them in 1988 but have had no response to letters for many years so assume they have died. They showed me newspaper photographs of GRD Perry at the helm of what looked like a very large ship but I don't know the source of these and was not equipped at the time to take photographs of the clippings.  I know that British newspapers are online but the prospect of the search for these photographs is daunting. 
I'm away from the computer for the day so will check this thread when I'm home again.  J

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Could this be relevant?

Portsmouth Evening News - Friday 06 July 1900 "The Catania, s.s., the Duke of Sutherland, is refitting for the Cowes Week."
Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 13 October 1900 "Hanson and Co.........have just caulked and coppered the Duke of Sutherland's steam yacht Catania, and are making various alterations on deck."

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Googling 'catania & duke of sutherland' brings up lots of references but haven't come across anything yet to link the Duke to your Perrys.