Author Topic: Duke of Sutherland  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 February 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I think I'll look a bit closely at the Catania.  It could be there will be no reference connecting George Perry to the yacht or the duke.  I do need to ask whether dukes handed out gold watches frequently/freely or should I regard that action as something special?  Maybe they kept a supply of them on hand!   George Perry obviously regarded it as something special to designate its disposal in his will.  Also trying to think what action would be significant enough for a duke to give a gold watch to a commoner?  It doesn't seem to me a job of carpentry or cabinet-making would warrant such a reward. J

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 February 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
J, the Sutherland's weren't exactly short of a few bob, when Queen Victoria first visited them at the nearby Stafford House in London she exclaimed that she had come from her house to their palace!

Skoosh.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 February 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  That gives some context.  Somebody like that would probably regard a gold watch as small change!   I think a long term plan would be for me to locate descendants of George Donald Perry's siblings, who remained in the U.K., and those of his son, who moved to the U.K.  Wouldn't it be something special if that gold watch still remained in the possession of family members?  In his will it was left to Ernest Edward Perry, son of George Perry and brother to George Donald Perry.  Many Perry names have been passed down and my Uncle Ern Perry (now aged in his 90s) apparently named after his great-uncle, Ernest Edward Perry.    J

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 February 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't uncommon for watches (and other treasured possessions) to be mentioned in Wills- I've come across several Wills that said where a watch was to go next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 February 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I'll be away from the computer for some hours and will check thread on my return.  J

Offline Christoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 December 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Re. the gift of a gold watch and chain to George Perry from the 3rd Duke of Sutherland... I have inherited a silver tankard with the inscription: To EC in remembrance of a trip to America 1881. It was given to my great grandfather Edward Crockett who was his valet.