Author Topic: David Thompson b. abt. 1840 lived in Shantonagh, Ballybay Parrish  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Thompson b. abt. 1840 lived in Shantonagh, Ballybay Parrish
« on: Friday 19 February 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage record for David Thompson b. abt. 1840 son of John Thompson living in Shantonagh, he Married Sarah Bartley d/o William & Elizabeth White Bartley, 7 July 1870 at First Ballybay.  They came to America and settled in Illinois, Does anyone have any info on John Thompson? I have the Griffiths valuation in Shantonagh for him but nothing else. Who was his wife, did he have any other children?
Thank you for any help or clues!
Judi in America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Thompson b. abt. 1840 lived in Shantonagh, Ballybay Parrish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Does David's death certificate list mother's name? What religion were the family (this will give you an idea of what church records you need to check)

There is this Will Extract but unfortunately no Will- see http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Letitia Thompson late of Shantonagh County Monaghan Widow who died 26 October 1884 at same place were granted at Armagh to Hugh Boyd of Corbrack in said County Farmer a Creditor.

Possible death gives age as 74 so born c1810-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FT75-4Y8
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank You aghadowey! David & Sarah Bartley Thompson named their oldest daughter Letitia she was born 31 Jan. 1872 in Ballybay,  the rest of their children were born in the U.S. So you have given me a very good clue with the info on Letitia Thompson with links to her will & death date! I live several states away from where David Thompson died, but I think I need to call a couple of courthouses to see if I can locate his death certificate. I think they were Presbyterian as they were married in First Ballybay church.
Hugs from America,
Judi

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
They might have been Presbyterian but remember that marriages usually take place in the bride's church so possible you'll nee to look elsewhere.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline WilDi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 August 16 02:57 BST (UK) »
David Thompson was Presbyterian and Sarah Bartley was Church of Ireland.

We went to the Church (First Ballybay) and all they had on record was the marriage of Margaret Bartley (Sarah's sister) to William Hawe and Sarah Bartley marriage to David Thompson.
 My grandmother (Sarah and David's daughter) said, Margaret and Sarah's parents died when they were young and the girls were raised by relatives.

Offline A Gulhaugen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 August 16 03:35 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, Reathel Mae Thompson, was David Thompson's granddaughter. David Thompson died on November 12th, 1913. Sarah Bartley Thompson was born May 10, 1851, in county Down, Ireland and died on March 17, 1914. David Thompson and Sarah Bartley Thompson are both buried at Farlow Grove Cemetery, in Matherville, Illinois (sometimes referred to as the Preemption Cemetery).

I will be visiting that area in Illinois next month, so please let me know if I can be helpful in any way to you. I have been trying to track down information on John Thompson as well, so thank you everyone for your information.

Angeline

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 August 16 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Angeline,
My  husband's mother was Violet Thompson Pegg. I have checked Mercer & Rock Island county for death records for David Thompson without any luck, I haven't been able to find an obituary for him either. But from online research, I have a copy of David & Sarah marriage record that says David was from Shantonagh Parish & his father's name was John. From online will extracts John Thompson (b. abt. 1805) of Shantonagh Parish, Ballybay, Monaghan Co. died 3 Jul. 1868, leaving a widow Letitia ?? Thompson. Letitia (b. abt 1810) died 26 Oct. 1884 in Shantangh Parish.
I do have Sarah Bartley Thompson's death certificate that lists her parents names. I think Sarah's obituary saying she was born in Co. Down is a mistake. On the marriage record she is from Losset, Kilmore Parish, Monaghan Co.
  I have David & Sarah Thompson on Find A grave, you can click on my name there to send me an email.
Judi

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Thompson & Sarah Bartley
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 16 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Angeline & Diane, I may have spoken to soon on Sarah Bartley not being born in County Down.  :-\ Hopefully this link to her mother Elizabeth White Bartley (Barckley)'s will works : http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=161063
Her will starts at the bottom of the page & there are 4 pages. The will extract has her listed as Elizabeth Bartley but as you will see as you read through her will it is indeed our Elizabeth.  :)
Happy reading!
Judi

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Thompson will
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=162791
You will note that he names his son David as well as his other children & wife Letitia.
Margaret & Catherine are living together in Shantonagh in the 1901 census. Margaret is head of household age 48, a farmer, Catherine age 40, listed as her sister. In the 1911 census Margaret is listed as age 66, living alone in Shantonagh. In both censuses Margaret is listed as the land owner.
Judi