Author Topic: NSW Electoral Rolls  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
NSW Electoral Rolls
« on: Saturday 20 February 16 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,
I am after the early rolls from about 1900-1924 for NSW please. George H Hewitt, lived in Bingara
 (C 1849)
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Electoral Rolls
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I will look up my copy of the 1903 Electoral roll for that polling place for you.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Freckle,
    Could this be him?  A George HEWITT of Bingara (with a wife and 7 children) who in 1891 won lots of  money  :D

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article100158050

regards
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Something not quite right here.

NSW Electoral Roll 1903, GWYDIR, polling at Bingara.

George Henry HEWETT, of Bingara, domestic duties.

Yes, that is the spelling of the surname on this roll, and yes, that is the occupation as per this roll.

FindMyPast has the 1903/04 NSW Electoral Rolls, and that is a different set from the hardcopy rolls I have looked up to find the above entry.

Then there's the 1913 roll :

NSW ER 1913, BINGARA, polling at Bingara.
George HEWETT, Riddle St, labourer.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 16 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you majm and rosball,
I know from another Hewitt they can change the spelling so that does not surprise me. I think there are 2 George's in Bingara. One was charged with child neglect and 2 children removed, thats not the one I'm after. But.....if I can ever prove who his wife is (transcripts coming) she may have committed bigamy in the 1880's/90's.
Bingara is part of the Gwydir electorate. That win could be him. But I thought my George was a farmer. Grrr conflicting information for me. Been at this since 5am, lost my mojo for the day me thinks.
Thank you both so much, may have to get a few credits on FindMyPast.

Very grateful
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 16 05:01 GMT (UK) »
NSW State Records online indexes

George E HEWITT and his wife Elizabeth HEWITT are parents to Ada Amelia HEWITT.  Ada was admitted to the Parramatta Industrial school in 1899.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-education-and-child-welfare-records/index-to-child-care-and-protection/index-to-child-care-and-protection

Cheers,  JM

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 16 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM,
I did see that but my George is George H and Ada is one of 2 children listed for this particular couple George E and wife Elizabeth. George E is classed as half witted, My George has George H on his Bingara burial record and most other things.
New South Wales, Australia, Entrance Books for the Vernon and the Sobraon, 1867-1911. George E.
Living with his half witted prostitute wife and son Ernest born 1891. Another young child is not mentioned.
Think will have to leave it for to-day. Too knackered. Can't concentrate
Thank you so much for your kind assistance, much appreciated.

Cheers
Freckle

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 16 05:53 GMT (UK) »
An obit to the George HEWITT who won the money (and became penniless within a year  :( )
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article214784454.
He died in 1924 at his son Arthur's residence.

adding : From NSW BDM he was a George H Hewitt
Death
1924 HEWITT George H , father John, mother Mary at Bingara
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 16 06:24 GMT (UK) »
The only birth of an Arthur Hewitt I can find in the right time frame was ...

Arthur J HEWITT born in 1882 to George and Elizabeth at Coonabarabran