Author Topic: stockton on tees church burials - look up please  (Read 918 times)

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stockton on tees church burials - look up please
« on: Saturday 20 February 16 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody get to the records office for me please?

I'm looking for burials on July 8th, 9th or 10th 1927 in church burial grounds in (or around) Stockton on Tees.

From a newspaper article on findmypast's collection, I know that one of my relatives
Charles Adkins collapsed and died on July 8th 1927.  His wife Naomi Adkins (nee Law) was attending a "family funeral" in Stockton on Tees at the time. So i was curious as to whose funeral it might have been. 

With the help of Rootschatters I have been in touch with Bereavement Services at Stockton Borough Council.  They have no-one buried in the Borough Cemeteries on those dates who is related to my family.  They suggested that i look at the churchyard burials, held by Durham County under the Durham Diocese records.  I can't do this online as the search engine requires a name - and a name is the very thing i  am looking for!

So if anybody could look at the burial records by date and let me know of any names they find I would be very grateful indeed.

Thank you!
jsm
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stockton on tees church burials - look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 16 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I was trying to keep the previous thread out of this as none of those names mentioned last time are the ones.  I didn't want to confuse anyone.  I think I just need someone with a clean sheet and a clear brain to have a look at names of people buried on those dates, without pre-judgments.

Thanks for trying to help though!
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
You could try the Gravestone Photos site - a lot of Stockton burials there. Find a Grave also has some Stockton burials. Might involve a lot of browsing!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I was trying to keep the previous thread out of this as none of those names mentioned last time are the ones.  I didn't want to confuse anyone.  I think I just need someone with a clean sheet and a clear brain to have a look at names of people buried on those dates, without pre-judgments.

I only added it for background information.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 16 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Does FindMyPast allow for a particular newspaper to be searched by date? If so, it would be simpler to look at death notices for some familiar names. Local newspapers would include 'The Darlington and Stockton Times' and 'The Northern Echo'. The first is a weekly paper (if I remember rightly) so it would be a Saturday on or after the 8th. while the Echo is a daily, so a couple of days before.

Colin

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions,  I'm following them all up.  So watch this space (as they say)

howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Middlesbrough Reference Library have parish records on microfilm for 2 churches in Stockton Holy Trinity and St Thomas which record burials for 1927
They also have the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette on microfilm for 1927 which is apparently the most likely newspaper to look in.  Can anyone get to Middlesbrough for me please??

Thanks again to you all,
jsm
howse
law
pickering
dobson