Author Topic: Malley move from Mayo to Galway  (Read 1644 times)

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Malley move from Mayo to Galway
« on: Sunday 21 February 16 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Hoping for some advice or a good guess! We have had no success in finding a place of birth for Patrick Malley born about 1850.  He is in County Galway, Glassillaun/Mullaghglass area at the time of his marriage to Honor Coyne in 1875.  Seems to have remained in Galway according to 1887 second marriage and 1901 and 1911 census. 
A comment from a family member suggests the possibility that Patrick himself or his father was born in Co. Mayo not Galway.  Since Co. Mayo is the megacenter of the Malley name this could be worth following.  We don't know Patrick's father's name.  Patrick's first son was named Michael, so if Patt followed the usual naming pattern his father would be Michael.
Since his birth was during the famine we wonder if there was a lot of relocation going on to find better conditions.  Since the area Patt settled was  adjacent to Mayo we want to start exploring Mayo. Other than looking up all Patt Malleys born  near 1850, within about 50 miles of the Mayo/Galway border, can anyone offer another research attack plan?
No document says where he was born, or father's name.  Civil documents of a few of his children state he was from either Culfin or Glassillaun, both in Galway but do not state he was BORN there.
I'm grateful for any feedback. 
I sure would love to find a Malley family from Mayo who had a son Patrick gone missing!
thanks.  Ruth
County Cork - Knockadoon and Ballyandreen
- Murray / Shanahan
County Galway  Glassilaun
- O'Malley / Coyne / Kane
Sweden
   Lundberg/Lambert     goteborgs
   Gothe       orebro

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malley move from Mayo to Galway
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 16 23:08 GMT (UK) »
 Both the 1901 and 1911 Census records have him born in Co Galway

The marriage in 1877  To Honor and later marriage  to Bridget Kain are both in the Ballynakill  Parish.

There are 12 Patrick Malley born in 1845-1855 in Galway none in Ballynakill area.

The Griffiths Valuation of Ballynakill show only a couple of Malley none in  area of census record of the family.

I have found that the census records about place of birth are normally correct, it could be he was born in another area in Galway close to parish.

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Owenwee for taking the time to look at my Pat Malley.
Where did you look to see that there were 12 Pat Malleys born in galway between 1845 and 1855? That is an encouraging number of people for me to start to look at.  Unfortunately, the years fall before civil registration so I think I need to broaden my church record search.
thank you.    Ruth

- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland.ie  is a subscription site I use.

Galway West shows only 12 Patrick Malley born 1845-1855  although its by no means certain this is all records. There are none with a father Michael and none in the Ballynakill area.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Do the civil marriage certificates not give his father's name?

The church record shows him as Patt Maley on his marriage to Honor.
Griffiths Valuation shows the name Mealey in  Mullaghlass - a possibility?

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/ballynakill.php

Baptism records only date from 1869 here http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1045

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood,
I needed to scour my records until I found my note from a few years ago indicating that it did not look like there was a civil marriage record for either of Patt Malley's marriages.  I appreciate your response since it prompted me to request them from Roscommon.  I could not remember if I knew definitively that there was no civil record or if, as I'm hoping, when I first started searching and could not find an index listing, I assumed there was not an actual civil record. I'm now hoping that there is a record but somehow Patt Malley's marriages do not appear on an index.  It is definitely worth requesting at this point.   Thank you for bringing up what now appears to have been an obvious oversight on my part.
Ruth
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 16 22:10 GMT (UK) »
No I can't see any of the marriages on civil indexes which are on the same page in the parish records.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632000#page/54/mode/1up

When was the marriage to Bridget?

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Pat Malley's marriage to Bridget Kain was in same parish, Letterfrack (Ballynakill) , Diocese of Tuam, Galway on Feb, 26, 1887.
I seem to recall from another post somewhere that you have also researched Malleys   I'm thinking you referred to them as coming from a tight geographic area.  Is that correct?
Do you know much about early property records in this part of Galway?  It seems that the small 2 room house the O'Malley's lived in was on property that eventually was passed down to Patt Malley's son John. One of John's daughters, Annie married a man named Walsh and they lived on the property, in a newer structure for many years.  I'm wondering if there would be land documents other than 1901/11 census from when Patt lived there.  Thanks.  ruth
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
My Malleys are from North Mayo where it isn't as popular a name as the Westport area.
It is difficult with the spellings/pronunciation of the name.
I pointed out variations of the name in Griffiths Valuation and living in Mullaghlass.

With regard to the land records, many years ago I got records through the land registration department.
It was great. I had to purchase the records but they were useful. I am unsure whether you can apply now though.