Author Topic: Jordan/Gourlay - Muff  (Read 936 times)

Offline Kylie Mal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jordan/Gourlay - Muff
« on: Sunday 21 February 16 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,I am trying to research my family line like many others and I am completely stuck on how or even if it is possible to find out more than what I have.Sorry for the rambling....

I know that James Jordan and Agnes? Gourlay lived in Muff in the 1840's as all their children list that as their birthplace on their varying records I have purchased here in Australia ...William b @1840,James 1842,Mary Jane 1844 and John around 1844/45 ,the children all came out here to Oz in differing years but starting from around 1862. James (Snr)was listed in the 1859 Griffiths valuation as being there and Mary Jane lists it as her residence when she marries Robert Bell in 1864 in Magherafelt. I am wondering if there is any way to find out when James and Agnes died or if there is a headstone of any kind for them ...or even if anyone else is researching same family?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan/Gourlay - Muff
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 16 13:06 GMT (UK) »

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 16 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Robert Bell & Mary Jordan married 12 Jan.1864 Cookstown district according to GRONI's database.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Are you sure you have the correct 'Muff' ?
 Muff ( Irish for plain) is a common place name in Ireland, it is more likely that the Muff in question is the townland in the parish of Lissan, County Londonderry. The marriage of Mary Jane Jordon and Robert Bell took place at Cookstown, the church record states in the parish of Lissan.

James Jordon is recorded in the townland of Muff, parish of Lissan in Griffith Valuation, 1857

On another point I see an online tree on ancestry where James Jordon's wife is called Annie/Nancy Gurley.

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
A little more information

In the Valuation revision books, James Jordon continued to live and farm at Muff until the 1890's when a John Kane is recorded as coming in to possession of the Jordon house and land in the year 1897. Searched in vain for a death record for James but without any luck.   
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Kylie Mal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 16 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all,especially you Joe as I didn't have the info of the valuations, Sorry if I messed up with county,some sites state it is Donegal,others Derry. His youngest son John died in Queensland in 1904 and it stated on his cert that he had only been in the state for 8 years so maybe he came out after his father died to join rest of his siblings

Offline Kylie Mal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 16 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Robert Bell & Mary Jordan married 12 Jan.1864 Cookstown district according to GRONI's database.

I purchased the cert ...my first ever Irish one I had found  ;D Extremely hard to read though so I do have it. I think us aussies have been spoilt with the amount of details we get on ours