Author Topic: Bognie Farm, Rafford  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bognie Farm, Rafford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 August 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Scotsquinne...yes, I now have the photos of the McG's gravestones (thanks to a forum friend who would probably prefer to remain anonymous, but s/he knows who they are!)

Sourbank a B&B...wonder if I can get booked in for next year?

Thanks again for your very kind offer.

No problem, glad you got them.   ;D
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 August 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1797 farm horse tax register for Rafford, there are two people of the name mentioned:

Alexander McGillavray, Tulloch, 1 horse, duty 2/-

George McGillavray, Tulloch, 2 horses, 1 not liable to duty, therefore duty 2/-

There is no mention of Bognie by name anywhere.

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 September 16 14:39 BST (UK) »
Meadow is not shown on OS maps, not even the largest scale C19th ones, probably because it was not a separate farm but was a farm worker's cottage near to Cluny in the South-East of the Parish. The inhabitants in the 1841 Census were Thomas Anderson with his wife and 3 children. Janet MacGillivray was not there then. The Free Church Rolls that show Janet MacGillivray there in 1843 also show that Thomas Anderson was still there in 1843 so probably Janet was in domestic service there or else was another farm worker boarding there. She was not there in the 1851 Census, either, so I would not spend time looking for a family of MacGillivrays from Meadow.
I have two MacGillivrays on my Tree who married Laing relatives of mine. One is Elizabeth McG. daughter of George McG. and Janet McDonald, born Sourbank 1st May 1847, who married Thomas Laing of Briach on 18th June 1869. The other is Thomas McG. son of Alexander McG. and Elizabeth Moir in Shogle, born 12th Nov. 1830, who married Isabella Laing of Blackhillock of Burgie on 7th June 1855.
If you come across either of these in your researches and would like more information I can help.
Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Unionjacksmapleleaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 August 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
are you still searching for McGillivrays after 1911.  I am a McGillivray and know where they went.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 August 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Its only one turbine and it would be at the back of the farm at the top of the hill.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6362482
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 December 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
are you still searching for McGillivrays after 1911.  I am a McGillivray and know where they went.

I'm a McGillivray also, and have had trouble tracing backwards - I'd be interested in seeing your lines to see if it gives any clues to where we connect in!

Kate B - likewise, if you have your research available somewhere that I can cast an eye over and see if we connect somewhere?  Would really appreciate it!
McGillivray (Aberdeenshire), Williamson (Ross and Cromarty)

Offline Unionjacksmapleleaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 July 22 04:57 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Anthony McGillivray who came to Canada in 1897 from Bognie.  He lived in Winnipeg and worked on the railroad.  He was killed in a train accident in 1930.  He had 6 children with Mary Stirling.  James Fraser McGillivray was my father b 1912 d 1997. 
How far back do you have the family living at Bognie?  Did they live at Shogle before that or is that a different McG family?  Id be very interested to learn about that.  Thank you!