Author Topic: Bognie Farm, Rafford  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bognie Farm, Rafford
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much, again! 

Larkspur:
YES!  John is the son of *my* James b1800 and Mary of Bognie (no marriage record found, but circa 1825). 

I started by looking for James and Mary’s son, Alexander b1835, who married Margaret Walker in April 1857 and a few months later immigrated to New York.  I got James b1800 back to his grandparents who married in 1791 at Rafford.

I feel as though I’m doing a one-name study, especially of the Rafford McGs of Bognie, Sourbank and Shogle.  None of them seemed to have any imagination when it came to naming their children.

I’ve saved the censuses of Todholes McG family but haven’t looked into them as I’m busy with the Bognie lot.   I have the Bognie McG families 1841-1911, after which is must have changed hands.  (Sad story involved).

Haven’t come across a place called Meadow yet (Janet McG b1843) – so another place added to my TO DO list.  May I ask where you got the Church Rolls (and please don’t tell me Greggs  ;D    )?
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 February 16 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I purchased a couple of small books when we were in Moray called "The Lands and People of Moray", I have parts 24 Parish of Rafford and 25 Parish of Dallas which cover the areas I am interested in.
https://secure.moray.gov.uk/eshop/home.php?cat=6
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 February 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Kate, I just realised that no one so far has mentioned LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp so far on this thread. Have you had a look at that?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 February 16 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Name:   James Mcgillivray
Marriage Date:   27 Nov 1829
Marriage Place:   Rafford,Moray,Scotland
Spouse:   Margaret Urquhart
FHL Film Number:   990807

Your James b 1801 is on Libindx.
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 February 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian:
Yes, that’s where I found out quite a bit of the burials, etc. 
Sometimes, it shows names of parents etc (although dates or names are not always correct), as well as articles in the local newspapers about BMDs for the buried person.  (it would cost me a fortune to buy them all at £1 an article!)

Thanks to you too, Larkspur
I have James b1803 m Margaret Urquhart (of Blewie/Blervie/Hill of Blervie/ Blervie Hill!) and will be following them up soon.  I’ve put them on the back burner as I’m not too sure they are from the line I’m following – I’ve yet to make the link to James b1800 (son of George b1768 and Elspet, proved cos I bought James’ DC) and Mary Nairn b1798 (dau of Peter and Jean James).

So many repetitive names – I need a bank of computers to keep up with it all!

For future reference, for those interested in the McGs, another brilliant website is:
http://web.ncf.ca/cv297/oprnames.htm

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
You can make out a McGillivray gravestone to the right of one of mine...

Just saw the first line on that Gravestone, Slatehaugh is just across the woods from me (as the crow flies)  ;)
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
I'm speechless  - I can't believe its still standing (albeit with double glazing etc!). Thank you so much, Forfarian.  Perfect! :o

Thank you too to Don and Monica for their help.

I've found a burial list where the particular branch of ancestors (and residents of Bognie Farm) are all buried in the "Rafford Old" cemetery.  Is anyone local, who could take a photo of the graveyard, stone - or is this just far too much to ask for?  Any ideas who to contact to ask for this favour? ::)

Thank you all again for all of your help.

Did you get the photo you needed? If not let me know, and I'll try and pop in and get it.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much, again! 

Larkspur:
YES!  John is the son of *my* James b1800 and Mary of Bognie (no marriage record found, but circa 1825). 

I started by looking for James and Mary’s son, Alexander b1835, who married Margaret Walker in April 1857 and a few months later immigrated to New York.  I got James b1800 back to his grandparents who married in 1791 at Rafford.

I feel as though I’m doing a one-name study, especially of the Rafford McGs of Bognie, Sourbank and Shogle.  None of them seemed to have any imagination when it came to naming their children.

I’ve saved the censuses of Todholes McG family but haven’t looked into them as I’m busy with the Bognie lot.   I have the Bognie McG families 1841-1911, after which is must have changed hands.  (Sad story involved).

Haven’t come across a place called Meadow yet (Janet McG b1843) – so another place added to my TO DO list.  May I ask where you got the Church Rolls (and please don’t tell me Greggs  ;D    )?

Sourbank is now a B&B...  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011230989054&fref=ts

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 August 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Scotsquinne...yes, I now have the photos of the McG's gravestones (thanks to a forum friend who would probably prefer to remain anonymous, but s/he knows who they are!)

Sourbank a B&B...wonder if I can get booked in for next year?

Thanks again for your very kind offer.