Author Topic: Glemsford PR Look Up Please Circa 1806 - Children of Thomas Goody & Mary Clark  (Read 1265 times)

Offline yjm

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Tyte 1815-1891
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had access to the Glemsford Parish Register and would be kind enough to  do a look up for me for any children of Thomas Goody & Mary Clark.

They married on 21st December 1806 in Glemsford and all that I can find is just the one son Thomas Clarke Goody who was born in 1810 Glemsford (by the time of his marriage in 1837 his surname was spelt as Gooday)

I have searched Family Search & Ancestry but cannot find any births/baptisms of any other children for Thomas & Mary - I can't find them in the 1841 Census for Glemsford but think I have them in the 1851 & 1861 still in Glemsford.

Thomas Goody born 1784 Glemsford son of Isaac & Hannah and died in 1870 Glemsford
Mary Clark born 1785 Glemsford and died in 1865 Glemsford

It just seemed unusual to me that they only had the one child in an era when large families were so common.

Many thanks  :)
TYTE - Clock makers, Grocers - Somerset, Surrey
PLENTY, CURTIS - Millers, Yeoman Farmers - Somerset
MONK - Boatbuilders - Staffordshire, Worcestershire
MILLS - Sawyers, Joiners, Hackney Cab Proprietors - Warwickshire, London, Surrey

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glemsford PR Look Up Please Circa 1806 - Children of Thomas Goody & Mary Clark
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 16 03:23 GMT (UK) »
I note that son Thomas wasn't born until 4 years after the marriage - it's possible she either had problems conceiving or prone to miscarriages.   It happened - the Glemsford records are pretty comprehensive online and whilst other Goody's born to other couples no more for Thomas and Mary.

Had Thomas perhaps been in the navy?   I note when he and Mary Clark married his parish at that time given as New Shoreham, Sussex.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glemsford PR Look Up Please Circa 1806 - Children of Thomas Goody & Mary Clark
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 16 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know you have listed Thomas bapt. 1784 s/o Isaac & Hannah (late Brown), but there is also a bapt. for a Thomas Goody 5-7-1789 s/o Thomas & Mary (possibly late Bowers) also in Glemsford.

In fact there are several other children bapt. to these parents from about 1755 all in Glemsford.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »
There are several Goody/Goodey/Gooday/Goudy families in Long Melford and surrounding area. Quite a few are in the non-conformist & non parochial registers, Clark's also.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline yjm

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Tyte 1815-1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 16 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply  :)

Annette - All I had on the marriage of Thomas Goody & Mark Clarke was a date and place so thank you for the additional information of his parish being New Shoreham Sussex. I will explore further your suggestion of being in the Navy - indeed after a quick look their is a record of a Thomas Goody seaman  on the Midas in 1824 so maybe that is an avenue I somehow need to follow further.

Alan - Thank you for your suggestion of Thomas (1789) being son of Thomas & Mary Bowers - indeed I unfortunately have no proof of my reference to his parents being Isaac & Hannah Brown, I think I was steered towards his birth date being 1784 from the 1851/1861 Census.

All I know for sure is Thomas Clark Goody baptised 10 June 1810 son of Thomas Goody & Mary Clark - not sure how I can prove/disprove either parentage, so any further help would be really appreciated.

Youngtug - Thanks for your suggestion of looking in Long Melford I will explore further, although all references so far have cited Glemsford but being very close by is a possibility.

Kind Regards Eve  :)

TYTE - Clock makers, Grocers - Somerset, Surrey
PLENTY, CURTIS - Millers, Yeoman Farmers - Somerset
MONK - Boatbuilders - Staffordshire, Worcestershire
MILLS - Sawyers, Joiners, Hackney Cab Proprietors - Warwickshire, London, Surrey

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 16 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Some from Glemsford also appear in the non conformist registers,
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY