Author Topic: ARNOLD family Pirton Herts/Shillington Beds  (Read 3891 times)

Offline rumpuscat

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG-Grandpa George Robert Ovenden 1791-1860
    • View Profile
ARNOLD family Pirton Herts/Shillington Beds
« on: Sunday 21 February 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I'm trying to track down my Arnold ancestry but the Arnold family seems to be a many-headed monster!  Mine seemed to oscillate between Pirton in Herts and Shillington just over the county border in Beds.  I am now stuck on Major Arnold (yes,his name, not a rank) Major married Sarah Chalkley or Chalksey in 1755 and had several children including my 6th GGrandfather Thomas(b.1767).
Major would have been born around 1730 but I can't find a christening record.  I have looked on Ancestry, Familysearch and FreeReg with no luck. Major died in 1803.  Can anyone find his birth?  Thanks.
=^._.^=

Rumpuscat - 2022

FAIRHALL (Sussex, London, Notts)
LINSEY (Lincs, Notts)
OVENDEN (Kent, London)
ANGERSTEIN (London)
SPICER, CORNS, VALE (Staffs)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ARNOLD family Pirton Herts/Shillington Beds
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
The Pirton parish registers don't form part of the FindMyPast Herts collection.

They have been put online here instead

http://www.pirtonhistory.org.uk/

You might find something there

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline rumpuscat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.  I'll give it a go. ;D
=^._.^=

Rumpuscat - 2022

LINSEY (Lincs, Notts)
OVENDEN (Kent, London)
ANGERSTEIN (London)

Offline Summer74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know your post was written some time ago but just thought I would post here to see if you are still able to answer. My 5th Gt Grandparents are Major Arnold and Sarah Chalkley, so I suspect somewhere along he line we are cousins. These two are somewhat of a mystery and I have been searching for their parentage for a long time. Many people have suggested that Sarah Chalkley's parents are William Chalkley and Mary Harmer who came from St. Pauls Walden. As much as I would like them to be, because they lead to the Royal Family via Queen Jane Seymour, I think they are unlikely to be her parents. William & Mary did have a child Sarah but I think she is likely to be married to William Dollimore and so not our Sarah. Our Sarah was born in Shillington, where many of my relatives are born including my mum, she married Major who came from Pirton.(There are a number of "Major" christian names in the family. There is a record in Shillington of a Mary christened in 1697 born to parents John and Mary Chalkley, I think it is possible that our Sarah is either the child of John & Mary or the illegitmate child of their daughter Mary. This is only supposition but Major and Sarah did call two of their children John & Mary.However much of the Chalkley family that are all over Hertfordshire are likely to be inter related in some way. The graveyard in Shillington is made up of a great percentage of my connected family quite a few hundred graves. The Arnold family go back a long way in history I believe to the Manor house that once was in Shillington and I think to the Grey family who were part of that Manor and the nobility. However finding the connections is somewhat difficult from Sarah and Major parents. I wondered if you had any more success with finding the parentage of either of these two? My family comes down via the daughter of Major and Sarah namely Mary Arnold, sister of your Thomas Arnold. Kind Regards Thelma

Offline rumpuscat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Thelma, I'm afraid I can't help greatly.  I just have Major Arnold b Pirton 1730 - 1803
m 24 Jun 1755 at Shillington Sarah Chalkley (1730 - 1810).

I have Major's parents as William b. 1692 Shillington and
Mary Heartwell b. 1692 Shillington.

I have never found anything convincing about Sarah's parents so they are still blanks in my tree.  Sorry not to be of more help. Diane
=^._.^=

Rumpuscat - 2022

LINSEY (Lincs, Notts)
OVENDEN (Kent, London)
ANGERSTEIN (London)

Offline james52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just found the Chalkley's in my ancestors. Intrigued to hear more of the link to Jane Seymour - what evidence is there to link the family?

Offline Summer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 December 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi James, Sorry to be so long replying but I have been away. After many hours of research regarding Sarah Chalkley who married Major Arnold, born in Pirton, and trying to finding who her parents were & where she came from.I have undertaken a lot of research that I am happy to share if you allow me to send it to you via your email.  The family of William Chalkley who married Mary Harmer  (from Aston) are a strong possibility of being the parents of Sarah Chalkley but by no means certain. People have been confused by the fact that there are two William and Mary parents one in Aston and one is St. Pauls Walden. The St. Pauls Walden's couple are William Chalkley and Mary Biggs they had a daughter Sarah Chalkley who married William Dollimore.  However the parentage of Sarah Chalkley cannot be absolutely guaranteed but I have looked into all the Chalkleys in the area and nearly all of them stayed within the boundary of Hertfordshire and the counties bordering them. So even though my 5th Gt Grandma Sarah Chalkley cannot have an absolute verification of parentage, I think it can be defined that she belongs to the Chalkley's in the area and as such they do join to the Harmer family which does lead to a 'Gateway' family of the Bulkeley family. The Bulkeley family is well documented and recorded lead to Royalty. Sarah Chalkley married Major Arnold in Shillington (Shitlington then) and I have examined all the Chalkley people to be found in Shillington. The only slight possibility could be that Sarah is the illegitimate daughter of a Mary Chalkley born in Shillington, daughter of a John Chalkley but there are no records to confirm this, so it can only be  supposition.  Sarah's heritage is difficult and it is only through hours of work that I have found that nearly all the Chalkley's in that area, in history,  stayed in Hertfordshire and as Sarah was a Chalkley it is much more than likely she was connected in someway to all the other Chalkleys and as such that route, via the Harmers, is most definitely connected to Royalty. How are you connected James? Sarah & major are my 5th Gt. Grandparents. If you send me your email I will let you see my research. Kind Regards

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 December 17 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Please use the personal message system to exchange email addresses.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Thank you
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Becky86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I am so late to this but only just recently started more research on the family tree. I have also found Major Arnold & Sarah Chalkley in my tree. They are my 6th great grandparents. Their daughter Sarah Arnold married Edward Roberts etc eventually leading down to me.
My great grandad was the last of that line to be born in Bedfordshire before his parents moved to Yorkshire where I was born, so I've not got much idea of the places in Southern England.  I've been searching around for her parents too coming up with William Chalkley & Mary Harmer also. Anymore info on this would be great.  :)
Interesting I have a DNA match on another site their surname Chalkley & still in Hertfordshire, so it's come all the way down the line, they have an extensive tree with William & Mary Harmer too but no Sarah Chalkley. She must be related somehow or I wouldn't be a DNA match, if their tree is correct that is.