Author Topic: "Egyptian" birth certificate  (Read 534 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Egyptian" birth certificate
« on: Monday 22 February 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
If a person is born in Egypt to British parents and the birth registered with the British Consul what information will be on this British Birth Certificate ?

In the UK there is no such thing as a British Certificate, it is either issued by Northern Ireland, Scotland or England & Wales, each of which carries different information.

What information does a British Certificate carry ?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Egyptian" birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Per the GRO:

Q6. What will I see on an overseas certificate?

Due to the variety in format of overseas records, it depends on the type of record the certificate is produced from.

Normally the format of a birth certificate will include a date and place of birth, the child's name and the parent's names and surnames.

Marriage certificates, if the marriage took place in a British Consul or was registered by the British Forces the certificate will take a usual format of date and place of marriage and the names and surnames of the bride and groom. If however the marriage was one where a certificate was deposited with our records then it will be a certified copy of the original documents i.e. the certificate issued by the foreign country plus a translation, if applicable.

Death certificates will normally include date and place of death (in respect of war deaths this may just state the country), name and surname of the deceased and often the age at death or date of birth.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-overseas.asp
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Egyptian" birth certificate
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ShaunJ, I should have thought of that myself. Old age does have its drawbacks.