Author Topic: Downloading from Ancestry - Blank document what did I do wrong ?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading from Ancestry - Blank document what did I do wrong ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thank You,

I did not check downloads--because I didn't really have a lot of heart-my little dog died on Saturday,and I was not really concentrating,as I also have huge concerns with our other dog--who is huge! 60k--and has now developed cancer.
She has also almost lost use of rear leg-due to an operation sometime ago-so had an eye on her--needs.
Elsa-Mary
Lunt, Greenwood, Lancashire/Cheshire/N Ireland.
Taggart,Robinson,Bates. N Ireland
Roberts, Liverpool.
Amos, Mostyn, Flintshire.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Commisserations for your loss and also for the worry Elsa.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline marktod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem.  I have found that if you right-click on the image and then save you just get a blank, but if you click on the down arrow in the saved box in the top right hand corner and then click 'save to your computer' it works properly.   If this still doesn't work, use PrtSc in the top row of keys on the keyboard and it should either save the screen image in a file called 'Screenshot' or give you a screen image which you can paste onto Paint.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
If you can save documents as "Save As" check that the last image/s downloaded appear as thumbprint tiles (not blank tiles) in the "Save As" window.

What I discovered, is that if you change a document image reference number to a title, to find it easily on the pc search later, it will sometimes download blank. Also download to one file, they are easier to find, rename and move to where you want later.

If you find an important, but difficult to find image (or document in an archive, or archive catalogue reference) accidentally, it pays to back-up details in a Bound Notebook, or have a ring binder folder, for that purpose, because you never know when a Hard drive might fail either! Or your power supply goes off during a large update and your pc battery goes flat.

I've found items in the British Newspaper Archive, but because the OCR is poor for some editions/ dates, it can take some time, or be impossible to find it again later, so always worth taking notes.

Mark

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it makes any difference but I've always saved downloaded images using the Ancestry/FindMyPast filename, but I often edit the name later to suit my own system. I don't recall having any blank images among the thousands I've saved.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I think it's the right-clicking on the image that's the problem - should either use the green Save button or, my preference, the Tools then Download icon on the RHS
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE