Author Topic: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Wales Collection on FindMyPast
« on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Today I have found that The Wales Collection is held by FindMyPast, however I am unable to find my g. grandparents marriage in Llandegai, 1889 even though I have the marriage certificate in my hand.  I don't want to waste hours with this collection if half of it is missing.

I've looked at the description and FindMyPast say the records are from The National Library in Aberystwyth who apparently don't hold the Parish Register's but they do hold the Bishop's Transcripts as well as lots of other records, but its specifically baptisms, marriages and burials I'm after and as stated I couldn't find the marriage though I may resort to the time honoured task of scrolling through the BT's.  ::)

Does this mean the only Parish Registers are held at the local county record office and I would have to pay £9.25 for 100's of certificate which would be a nightmare trying to get it right with my Williams, Owens and Jones families all in villages in North Wales without more clues!!  :o  Or am I missing the point here and they are online on another paid site?  I've tried the IGI but without parents names and/or occupations it's a huge headache!  ::)

Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Here's the link to this collection because when you go into the A to Z on FindMyPast to find specific record sets this doesn't even show up, in fact if you break it down by county it just gives you BMD indexes!!  I only found it by chance today by googling "Welsh Parish Records online" and voila this came up.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/search-all-uk-records/special-collections/the-wales-collection

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Ooops we cross posted Dawn  :D but see if you can find them in the A to Z because I sure can't!!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
My geographical knowledge of Wales is zilch, give or take.

According to Phillimores Atlas, Llandegai comes under Bangor Rd until 1974 and historically is in Caernarvonshire.

There is partial coverage on the IGI 1813-1875

The registers have been deposited at the National Library apparently.

Maybe the parish hasn't given permission for their records to be uploaded?

I can't find the parish in any drop down box.

You might be better off emailing customer support at FindMyPast and ask then where the records are.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I've found loads of Welsh parish records on FindMyPast. Who are you looking for?

In the A-Z list, select Caernarvonshire banns / baptisms / burials / marriages. Loads of parishes included but Llandegai doesn't appear to be there - in the marriage records anyway. You can filter on parish, and mother's / father's names. 

Edited to add: according to GENUKI, Llandygai marriages up to 1858 are at the records office in Caernarfon. Baptisms to 1887, burials to 1908.

Some areas (eg Cheshire) have BTs and parish records on FindMyPast.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:35 GMT (UK) »
My geographical knowledge of Wales is zilch, give or take.

According to Phillimores Atlas, Llandegai comes under Bangor Rd until 1974 and historically is in Caernarvonshire.

There is partial coverage on the IGI 1813-1875

The registers have been deposited at the National Library apparently.

Maybe the parish hasn't given permission for their records to be uploaded?

I can't find the parish in any drop down box.

You might be better off emailing customer support at FindMyPast and ask then where the records are.

Me neither Dawn, my excitement was very short lived. :'(

I will shoot them off an email, though I won't expect an answer real soon with all the 1939 stuff going on.  :-\

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I've found loads of Welsh parish records on FindMyPast. Who are you looking for?

In the A-Z list, select Caernarvonshire banns / baptisms / burials / marriages. Loads of parishes included but Llandegai doesn't appear to be there - in the marriage records anyway. You can filter on parish, and mother's / father's names. 

Edited to add: according to GENUKI, Llandygai marriages up to 1858 are at the records office in Caernarfon. Baptisms to 1887, burials to 1908.

Some areas (eg Cheshire) have BTs and parish records on FindMyPast.

Thanks Deidre, looks like I dipped out on Llandegai/Llandygai.  I do use FindMyPast for Cheshire which is excellent and has saved me a fortune in Certs and also Ancestry for Liverpool so mustn't grumble.  ;)

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
try north wales bmd