Author Topic: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast  (Read 4464 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it might be FindMyPast's search engine.

I had a 30-day subscription a couple of years ago and downloaded dozens of certs. Some months later I bought another 30-day subscription.

In the meantime, however, they had apparently "upgraded" to their New! Improved!! search engine, which was unable to find a single one of my records which I already had. I mean, I'm looking right at the thing and FindMyPast offers 0 results from my search.

I was disgusted, and told them so. What a waste of money.
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
If you add Llandegai as an optional key word in the search - you can certainly get births deaths and marriages that area. The search results screen just shows CAERNARVONshire,WALES in the location, but if you go into a record it is Llandegai, Caernarvon. :)
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I think a lot of record sets have been mucked up following the upgrade chinakay refers to - merged into other record sets or misnamed etc etc.
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Some Welsh Church records are filed under the wrong county record set. I notified FindMyPast in October 2014 that some early 19th century baptisms for St Mary Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, were filed under Merioneth (a county in North Wales) rather than Pembrokeshire (south west Wales). As far as I can see this has still not been corrected.

A solution to these errors (and no doubt others) in the record sets seems to be 1) select the general group (Birth, marriage & death Parish records) and any sub-category; 2) in the field next to Where (Britain) type in the parish name.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 07:25 GMT (UK) »
If you add Llandegai as an optional key word in the search - you can certainly get births deaths and marriages that area. The search results screen just shows CAERNARVONshire,WALES in the location, but if you go into a record it is Llandegai, Caernarvon. :)

Thank you very much Bertie, I'll give this a go and report back because if this collection is what it says on the box it will be a cracker for those of us with Welsh roots.  I'll start by trying to find the marriage certificate I have to hand.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it might be FindMyPast's search engine.

I had a 30-day subscription a couple of years ago and downloaded dozens of certs. Some months later I bought another 30-day subscription.

In the meantime, however, they had apparently "upgraded" to their New! Improved!! search engine, which was unable to find a single one of my records which I already had. I mean, I'm looking right at the thing and FindMyPast offers 0 results from my search.

I was disgusted, and told them so. What a waste of money.

That's not good Chinakay, I will report back here of my findings.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Some Welsh Church records are filed under the wrong county record set. I notified FindMyPast in October 2014 that some early 19th century baptisms for St Mary Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, were filed under Merioneth (a county in North Wales) rather than Pembrokeshire (south west Wales). As far as I can see this has still not been corrected.

A solution to these errors (and no doubt others) in the record sets seems to be 1) select the general group (Birth, marriage & death Parish records) and any sub-category; 2) in the field next to Where (Britain) type in the parish name.

2014!!!   :o  Wow  that is bad, perhaps they should fix up what they already have before releasing more records or it's going to end up in a real big mess!!

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Well I've just spent 20 minutes on there trying every which way to find this marriage and other than the BMD indexes I can't find anything else.  Here are the details if anybody else would like to give it a crack.

The Parish Church of Llandegai

23 Feb 1889

Robert WILLIAMS, bachelor, 25, Stoker of Coed y Parc, father John WILLIAMS, Gateman

to

Ellen OWEN, 18, spinster, Penyrala Tregarth, father Thomas OWEN, Quarryman.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 08:02 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast do state This collection is not a complete record of all the marriages in any particular Welsh county. The date ranges of records for each locality will vary.
   http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/wales-marriages-1541-1900

Have they indicated that the parish is covered  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk