Author Topic: date of 1851 Census  (Read 1554 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
date of 1851 Census
« on: Tuesday 23 February 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
 ???is it possible to find the acutal date of the 1851 Census in St Peter Port

I am looking at the entry for Harriet Mills (widow) with her Children John aged 14 (cordwainer) James aged 12 a scholar Mary Ann 5 (I have her baptism & Birth in 1845) abd Elizabeth aged 11 months.

???I am still looking for information re  the baptims or deaths etc. of John, James and Elizabeth... ???

Their father is John Mills who died 9 January 1850 buried 13 January 1850..

Another son Alfred is with his Aunt Sophie (Harriet's sister) and her husband John Taylor    I have his baptism but he was in the Town Church, St Peter Port...

Thank you

Cheran 8)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: date of 1851 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census was taken on 30 March.  (Oops- typo corrected!)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
is that the 1851 Census not 1951???  if so Elizabeth is probably born in abt the April of 1850!!

Thank you

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry for a James Mills born 1838 St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands listed as a lunatic Patient (Insane) in 1861 census at the Hospital Workhouse of St Peter Port.  Wondering if there would be any further records for the workhouse with further information to positively identify your James.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:04 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry for a James Mills born 1838 St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands listed as a lunatic Patient (Insane) in 1861 census at the Hospital Workhouse of St Peter Port.  Wondering if there would be any further records for the workhouse with further information to positively identify your James.

Sandra

I now have found James death = Death: 2nd March 1867, James Mills, aged 29, of Maison des Alienes, parents Jean Mills and Henriette Le Tissier, (Greffe A140/0056)   but still to find a baptism for him

I too had him described as a lunatic patient in the 1861 census.  I did note that on the 1851 census he is recorded as James F. Mills 

Thanks for sending this through for me....  it is a big help.

so still searching for John A. Mills, only the Census up to 1851 no bapt etc.
Mary Ann (I have her bapt in Wesleyan Church) but no death or marriage
Elizabeth Mills born abt  April 1850 if I calculate properly just after her Father Jean Mills death in January 1850

??? ???

Cheran

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Familys seem to be in Southampton in 1901 and then Ophelia is with Walter in Chigwell 1911. Notice a possible death for Ophelia R Phillips - Battersea London September 1937 - 1d 272
Phillips is such a common name, Mary could have remarried and passed away in a few different places  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 16 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Familys seem to be in Southampton in 1901 and then Ophelia is with Walter in Chigwell 1911. Notice a possible death for Ophelia R Phillips - Battersea London September 1937 - 1d 272
Phillips is such a common name, Mary could have remarried and passed away in a few different places  ???

Sandra

Sandra.  I am bit lost.... not sure if this my family. ?....